The Canon R6 Thread

I am glad I remembered this thread. Photo flyer-I thought you had the R5, but now I see it was the R6. I feel limited with my 80D and planning a National park trip this June. I really want a nice camera set up this trip. The R7 is taking forever and we don’t even know what it will be yet, although maybe an announcement to come soon.

Anyway-I guess the biggest concern Is reach for wildlife and megapixels. I have never used FF and never feel I have enough reach as is. I see above you had some cropped photos that look good. Anyone have found this to be a problem? I do pet photography, wildlife, landscape. Hobby, but like pro results ( that’s eventually my goal-before I die I want to be really good at something LOL).

I have a canon 100-400 II with 1.4 extender. I can not get good shots from the 80D with the extender on. I was thinking about the f11 800mm, but see photoflyer gets good shots adding an extender to the 100-400. That’s something to think about.

I guess I’m rambling. Trying to decide whether to go for it or not but have heard very few complaints about R6. I am thinking R6, use my 100-400 w/ 1.4, maybe get f11 800-understand the downfalls. Buy a 70-200 f4 and adapter ( the older one cuz can’t afford new RF on top of everything else).

Anyone want to talk me out of it?

With the R5 and R6, you can use the 100-400 and use the crop factor in the camera to stay at f/4 but then you add the 1.4x tc, you get that much more.

I have the R6 and love it with my 300mm f/2.8 for wildlife. I haven't yet had a chance to try it with the camera crop factor but I will get there soon.

Once someone has a full frame camera they will always have one. But that doesn't mean one won't have a crop sensor as well. I purchased a used 7D Mark II a few months ago because I got tired of waiting for the R7. Last weekend I was shooting a college baseball game and had the R6, 7D Mark II, 70-200 f 2.8 L and the 100-400 4.5-5.6 MII L.

First, it was mostly bright and sunny, so the ISO was low (helpful for the 7DMII). In terms of shooting, I MUCH prefer the R6. There is just something magic about the exposure simulation and pointing at a subject with the AF and watching it track it. I cannot emphasize this enough. Once the AF is locked, I can move the camera so that I get the composition I want. With the 7DMII (known for its AF) I really have to anticipate the composition and position the focus point accordingly before taking the shot.

The image quality at the ISO on this shoot was similar between the two with a little extra "something" on the R6. But, on shoots where the ISO is 1600 and above, the difference becomes noticeable. I'll share a few shots if anyone cares.

If someone is a wildlife shooter only, the R6 still works but the R5 is better...at a price. The R6 excellent for all around shooting. I will go from sports, to wildlife, to night landscapes to portraits in the span of a week or two. There may be better cameras for each of these but the R6 can do all of them well.

Another factor to consider is file size. After I got the R6 I finally understood why the 1D Mark III "was only" 20 megapixels. If you're a pro or serious amateur, you are shooting a lot and giant files size have a real cost in terms of time and space. The raw images on the R6 are certainly manageable and the CRAW maintains all of the detail (you can find comparisons online and judge for yourself) and are smaller than the JPEGs cameras with a larger sensor.

The 2x TC works with the 100-400. The AF works at F11 though a bit slower. I have successfully tracked a bald eagle in flight, handheld at 800mm F11to finally get a reasonably good image. I also have the 1.4 TC but it is a mark II version and while it works fine is a full generation older.

If you have any non-IS lenses, like magic, they become image stabilized. I've shot my 85 1.8 (non-IS) at 1/10th second and compared it with the IBIS off. It is the difference between usable and not usable.

Landscapes are simply wider on a full frame given the lack of the 1.6 crop but that has nothing to do with the R6. However, I like to shoot them at night and the high ISO performance is helpful.

Finally, there is no substitute for good glass, and you have that. If you decided to pull the trigger on the R6, keep the 80D if you can swing it.

Great information. Thanks. I guess I need to familiarize myself with the files. Didn’t realize it was different. I knew R5 was and files too big for me. My computer is a mess as it is.

I’ll keep the 80D. Have 2 kids into photography. One has my T2i. Then I have a Fuji and the 80D they can play with. I’ll use the 80D for good light landscape or general photography on the trip and R6 for wildlife and low light. Might wait a week or so and see what Canon announces in early March.
Thanks!

Is my 2017 computer going to recognize information from the R6? I’ve heard some people mention file issues that I don’t understand.

Also-I have an adapter for my DSLR for the 100-400. Can I use that with the RF to EF adapter?

I also want a canon 70-200 but can’t afford the RF one. I was thinking a used one, f4 version I. Anyone use it with the R6?

Is my 2017 computer going to recognize information from the R6? I’ve heard some people mention file issues that I don’t understand.

Also-I have an adapter for my DSLR for the 100-400. Can I use that with the RF to EF adapter?

I also want a canon 70-200 but can’t afford the RF one. I was thinking a used one, f4 version I. Anyone use it with the R6?

It is the software, not the computer. Just make sure that whatever software you use to edit raw files will work with the .cr3 format. By now the current version of almost all editing software does so.

The EF to RF adapter will enable you to use any EF lens on your R6.

I'm not sure what adapter you're referring to for your 100-400 lens.

I use the EF 70 to 200 f 2.8 lens on the R6. Works perfectly.

Thanks. Hmmm. Can’t update LR/PS. Not sure if it’s age of computer or too much stuff on it. Need to work on that quickly. Thanks.

I should have to say low light wildlife or Those last few pictures are low light but good enough to record a moment in time. Really good for that High of ISO

I am glad I remembered this thread. Photo flyer-I thought you had the R5, but now I see it was the R6. I feel limited with my 80D and planning a National park trip this June. I really want a nice camera set up this trip. The R7 is taking forever and we don’t even know what it will be yet, although maybe an announcement to come soon.

Anyway-I guess the biggest concern Is reach for wildlife and megapixels. I have never used FF and never feel I have enough reach as is. I see above you had some cropped photos that look good. Anyone have found this to be a problem? I do pet photography, wildlife, landscape. Hobby, but like pro results ( that’s eventually my goal-before I die I want to be really good at something LOL).

I have a canon 100-400 II with 1.4 extender. I can not get good shots from the 80D with the extender on. I was thinking about the f11 800mm, but see photoflyer gets good shots adding an extender to the 100-400. That’s something to think about.

I guess I’m rambling. Trying to decide whether to go for it or not but have heard very few complaints about R6. I am thinking R6, use my 100-400 w/ 1.4, maybe get f11 800-understand the downfalls. Buy a 70-200 f4 and adapter ( the older one cuz can’t afford new RF on top of everything else).

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the cropping abilities of photos taken with the R6. I did many, many hours of research and video watching before I opted for the R6 over the R5. The better low light performance swung it for me.

Unless you are thinking of printing huge prints the 20mp is more than enough for general wildlife cropping.

Obviously the quality of glass used will have a bearing but I got the 800mm f/11 and wow what a combo. I haven't even had the 500 f/4L on it yet.

I can't speak highly enough of the R6 albeit I'm still getting used to it. Throw in the animal eye tracking AF an IBIS and it's a wonderfully powerful tool. I don't think you'll regret it if you decide on it. In fact I know you won't.

If I remember later when I get back to my PC I'll post an uncropped and cropped image of a bird for you to compare.

@Winona

Here's a couple of examples of the uncropped and unedited straight out of camera shots (only converted to JPEG from the DNG files) compared to the cropped and edited final format. You can judge for yourself on the detail retention of the R6's sensor but I think it's pretty awsome and more than edequate for this type of wildlife shots. Both were taken with the 800mm f/11.

@Winona

Here's a couple of examples of the uncropped and unedited straight out of camera shots (only converted to JPEG from the DNG files) compared to the cropped and edited final format. You can judge for yourself on the detail retention of the R6's sensor but I think it's pretty awsome and more than edequate for this type of wildlife shots. Both were taken with the 800mm f/11.

Looks good to me but I'm biased. It wasn't until I actually started using the R6 for my sports shooting that I understood why the 1DX Mark III was "only" 20 megapixels. The file sizes are completely manageable especially if you use the compressed format, and there's plenty of headroom for cropping if you need to. Oh, and for night sports where the lighting is less than optimal, jack up the iso and let her rip.

These look great! Thank you for taking the time. I may be ordering tomorrow. Do you use the UHS II card? I heard you can use the I card and I won’t be doing much video. Maybe a couple minute video.

These look great! Thank you for taking the time. I may be ordering tomorrow. Do you use the UHS II card? I heard you can use the I card and I won’t be doing much video. Maybe a couple minute video.

I use reasonably fast cards but nothing special. I don't shoot video and I don't "spray and pray" even though I shoot a lot of sports. I can't remember waiting for the buffer to clear.

You're welcome.

I'll get back to you in a wee while and give you the exact card model I use. I don't do video either but I did get reasonably fast cards too. Probably faster than needed to be honest. Because of the file sizes compared to a higher mp sensor you'd struggle to hit the buffer as I do with the 50mp 5Dsr on occasion.

Sandisc Extreme Pro, 64gb, 170MB/s.

As I said, way quicker than needed but I just ordered a couple when I bought the R6, 800 f/11, grip and extra batteries etc.

Most reactions

Back