The Chair

chantarelle79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Chair

My brother, who makes fine furniture for humans, made me this chair to measure for Lucrezia. I had to show it off, and also he got some strobes that I played with for the first time.

So question..should I consider getting strobes myself? Or would speedlights be better for my smaller subjects? They are about 17" tall.

Nikon Z6, FTZ Adapter, Nikon 50mm 1.8, F/2.2, 1/30, ISO 200

Studio strobes usually include a "modeling light" which helps a lot in setting the light and shadow on your subjects. They are usually only mains voltage except for some that also operate on battery power, but then those are more expensive.

Speedlights operate on battery power, so if you're going out, a speedlight can be used.

Speedlights usually have somewhat less power, but for small subject material up close, that will not be an issue.

Whichever you choose, be sure to budget for some modifiers (umbrellas, diffusers, etc.) and light stands. My first kit included two light stands and four umbrellas.

You should also have some way to fire the flash off camera, as that make a huge difference in the light quality. Which brings up my post in your other thread: I said the light is "flat", meaning no modeling, which adds detail to the contours.

It looks as if Lucrezia is adventuresome, apparently sitting in the chair upside down. That's o.k., of course, she can use it any way she wants.

Good light, good backdrop, good frame. The doll's feet are not in focus, and probably should be.

Most reactions

Back