The Coffee House

Pics!!

I'm guessing it isn't a lifted 2004 TJ

Yeeeaaaahhhhh, no. it's not a lifted TJ ;)

It's a 2017 Mazda 3 Sport, 6-speed. No pics yet as the dealer has to find me a hatchback. I'll be picking it up in a week.
Very happy for you. You will be safe and sporty at the same time! Woooooo hoooooo

Nice taste in cars, Leo. I drive a '13 Mazda 3 Hatch with a six speed. Love it.

Last edited:
Good morning, folks. It was a long night.
MLW and LL have been at MIL's for most of the week. Brother in law has multiple health issues (diabetic, COPD to start) and is a "fall risk" so he really can't be left alone for too long. We were on the way there, for dinner, when LL called saying he had fallen (fourth time that day) and maybe broke his ankle (he did). He is stubborn and will not go to hospital in the ambulance, sayig if it's not life or death, the hospital will charge him a lot; he has to go to the VA. We call the local fire/ems department to help get him out and down the steps (he is heavier than we can handle) and into our car so MLW & I can take him to the VA in DC (about 30 miles). We got home (after going to pick up LL) about 05:30 this AM.

Oh, no, poor guys. Subborn relatives are difficult to handle. You behaved like heroes. One cannot educate adults. Too bad.

@ Jon: After some research, Gary purchased a popcorn popper (hot air) for roasting and a pound of green Ethiopian beans.

I treated myself with the 105E ... got a great deal on it at Amazon UK 1865 insdtead of 2349 at Amazon DE ... A price I can sure let it go for in while should I not like it, but after all I have seen this is a must have lens in the Nikon system. 105/1.4E was intended as the lens that celebrates the 100th anniversary (in 2017) of the foundation of Nikon company. So it is kind of a present of Nikon to Nikon and the seem to have put every thing they can into that piece of glass.

It's a 2017 Mazda 3 Sport, 6-speed. No pics yet as the dealer has to find me a hatchback. I'll be picking it up in a week.

We still drive a red Golf build 1996. The last analogue version of that car. I actually need a key to open the doors (each on its own) and a crank to wind the windows up and down ... most of my lenses and cameras are more expensive per item than this car. But: It simply does what it is supposed to do, it needs only a little mending here and the parts go for cheap, there is no rust on that car anywhere. I am not so much into cars anyway, although I like what I see in the rentals I use professionally and on holidays abroad.

Good morning, hosers!

I'm almost done processing my christmas card photos. I've spent a ridiculous amount of time...I had to burn down every single background, and since I don't do that kind of work very often, it takes me awhile. I'll probably post a few this morning.

Gary, the air popper looks like a great route, especially since you live in a nice climate year-round. I know I'll have to do it outside though, and I've read that the air poppers struggle if it's cool/cold outside. At my latitude, that means that it'll struggle about 6 months out of the year, haha. Let me know how it goes...I'll be jealous. I can smell your freshly roasted coffee already.

Buenas Dias Coffee Hosers. Gary slept in this chilly Sunday morning. Gary is in the kitchen with a space heater aimed at his legs, the morning paper and coffee next to the computer calling to him. The headlines of "TRAGEDY IN OAKLAND" are extremely stressful because Mary Lou's youngest son may have lost a friend in that fire.

P.S. Grade reporting time is the worst.

Yesterday was a good and lazy day. On our walk The Cook and Gary ran into Mike and Max, (Max is this very handsome Goldie mix). We walked together then retired to Gary's backyard for coffee. Mary Lou made a run for bagels and some smears. We spent the rest of the morning drinking coffee, eating, watching the dogs play. In the afternoon, Gary had the ladder set up to start hanging some Xmas lights when Mary Lou returned from her walk and said "I found a new tamale place, let's go." And we went. We came back with two dozen tamales, red pork and green chile-cheese, and a bag of pan dulce. Gary gave a dozen to the neighbor then he and Mary Lou headed to the back. The rest of the afternoon we snacked on tamales with salsa, beans, pan dulce and a very nice Sonoma Chardonnay. The newly installed patio heater worked well and we just relaxed sipped Chardonnay and watched the koi, hummers and butterflies.

When everything got dark, we tossed a chemical log in the fireplace, polished off the Chardonnay while watching four episodes of Celia until midnight.

Today Gary will be back at the lights.

Good day hosers!

Interesting how some people cannot look any further than their little world and consider everything a tad outside as wrong or worthless. For me personally diversity is at first interesting.

How do you deal with people who are very dufferent from yourself?

Oooooh, Mazda, sport, 6 speed! and a 2017 no less. I like the sound of that. :bouncingsmileys:

It's really fun to drive. I'm trying not to be impatient for next Saturday!

Cool. Looking forward to seeing it.

We had the Camry cleaned, today - looks nice and shiny.

Will have pics when I have them!

Very happy for you. You will be safe and sporty at the same time! Woooooo hoooooo

:D

Nice taste in cars, Leo. I drive a '13 Mazda 3 Hatch with a six speed. Love it.

Nice!! A few years back, Buzz and I were in Slovenia and had a Mazda 3 as a rental, and I still remember thinking how nice it was to drive.

Good deal Leo. Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas indeed! (Everyone else is getting lumps of coal from me ;) )

We still drive a red Golf build 1996. The last analogue version of that car. I actually need a key to open the doors (each on its own) and a crank to wind the windows up and down ... most of my lenses and cameras are more expensive per item than this car. But: It simply does what it is supposed to do, it needs only a little mending here and the parts go for cheap, there is no rust on that car anywhere. I am not so much into cars anyway, although I like what I see in the rentals I use professionally and on holidays abroad.

My current car is a 2005 Chevy Cobalt. It's a stripped-down, bare-bones car. I too have the crank windows and manual locks. It's 11.5 years old and has just shy of 201,000 miles on it (about 323, 478 km). I clearly don't mind having a bare-bones care :) She's very well-maintained and I am sure I could get another 100K out of her, but a few things factored into my decision: 1) There are some more major repairs coming up (exhaust, suspension, clutch) and those won't be cheap or easy to do (my bf and I do much of the work ourselves); and 2) she's not as much fun to drive as she used to be. And I suppose this is mainly where we differ - I don't like a car to be an appliance that just gets me from Point A to Point B. There's nothing wrong with that and I know a lot of people are like that. But I love to drive, and I spend a lot of time commuting, so I want that time to be as enjoyable as possible.

Good day hosers!

Interesting how some people cannot look any further than their little world and consider everything a tad outside as wrong or worthless. For me personally diversity is at first interesting.

How do you deal with people who are very dufferent from yourself?

This is interesting and I'd like to answer this but I have to run at the moment, so I'll get to it later. :)

320.000 km ... that is about EOL. If we reach that point, we are still less than half of that, I contemplate to buy a Tesla Model 3. I am happy to live in a neighbourhood where I do not have to own a car at all. I can walk or take my bicycle to reach next to anything I need in my life.

Currently my wife needs a car to get to work. Train service is currently very unreliable slow and uncomfortable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back