The Coffee House

Now for something completely different ... Gary pulled the Tri-Tip after 24+ hours in the Sous Vide then a quick sear 0n the BBQ ... mmmmhhhhhh it is so good and so tender that no knife required. Gary has decided to start riding again and dropped off his steel road bike at a local shop which offered a special on tune-up. Mary Lou came with me and as we drove up she casually mentioned that the workers will go nuts. Gary didn't give the remark a second thought, wheeled in the bike ... and the store went nuts. Mary Lou just stood back and laughed while Gary provided a seminar on the bike's history. Gary has a 1970 era Medici ... an American made racing bike on par with the best in the world at that time. All the US Olympic Bike Teams raced on Medici. What should have taken five minutes ended up closer to an hour. The home and Gary attacked the trenching again, turning himself into another ball of pure sweat. But he's 90% finished, with maybe some 15' to go ... but it's the ugly 15' ... through trees and roots and stuff.

All your hard work trenching will be worth it when you and ML sip your first glass of wine in the new jacuzzi while listening to some Sade.

@Gary A. Think of all the healthy therapy your body is receiving with all that hard work!

On top of everything else going on here, as I drove up our drive Sunday after church, I happened to notice something strange on the roof of the house. Closer inspection revealed what looked like missing shingles. Apparently while we were gone a storm came through. I was really sweating getting it repaired before the next storm as there'd been no interior damage yet. In years past I would have scurried up the steep slope without a thought, but after a bad fall off a ladder 2 years ago that split the back of my head and took several weeks to recover from, I'm hesitant about heights. Fortunately I was able to get a couple of young roofers out yesterday, who replaced 6 shingles and told me there was also hail damage. So now we wait for the adjuster, to see if it's covered.

Here's a scary little tidbit. On the news, this morning only 25 days till fall. That was followed by a meme on social media which advised only 17 weeks left till Christmas!!! Seriously it doesn't seem like time moved that fast, more like I've had a reallllyyyy long nap, and missed some days.

I'm all set with summer. I haven't been to the beach more than 3 or 4 times this year, which is unusual for me - it's been too humid to enjoy the warm weather. I used to love the hot days but it seems that high humidity has become the norm. I don't remember that from when I was young. I wonder if it's a recent change to the weather patterns. Tomorrow is the first day of school for Princess (sophomore year) and it's going to be 98 and high humidity. No ac at the high school and they have field hockey practice for 2 hours after school. It's going to be a cranky night tomorrow. Hopefully there's no big homework assignment for the first day.

@Gary A. Think of all the healthy therapy your body is receiving with all that hard work! ...

Actually yes ... somewhere in the back of Gary's cream-cheese brain, he is appreciating that in association with his 8-16 diet, he is toning up and losing weight. Gary hates gyms. Gary's attitude is that he is in shape because he does things ... not for him to do things to be in shape.

I'm all set with summer. I haven't been to the beach more than 3 or 4 times this year, which is unusual for me - it's been too humid to enjoy the warm weather. I used to love the hot days but it seems that high humidity has become the norm. I don't remember that from when I was young. I wonder if it's a recent change to the weather patterns. Tomorrow is the first day of school for Princess (sophomore year) and it's going to be 98 and high humidity. No ac at the high school and they have field hockey practice for 2 hours after school. It's going to be a cranky night tomorrow. Hopefully there's no big homework assignment for the first day.
A glass or two of Chardonnay will cure the cranky evening (for you not Princess).
DSCF2588-XL.jpg

Now for something completely different ... Gary pulled the Tri-Tip after 24+ hours in the Sous Vide then a quick sear 0n the BBQ ... mmmmhhhhhh it is so good and so tender that no knife required. Gary has decided to start riding again and dropped off his steel road bike at a local shop which offered a special on tune-up. Mary Lou came with me and as we drove up she casually mentioned that the workers will go nuts. Gary didn't give the remark a second thought, wheeled in the bike ... and the store went nuts. Mary Lou just stood back and laughed while Gary provided a seminar on the bike's history. Gary has a 1970 era Medici ... an American made racing bike on par with the best in the world at that time. All the US Olympic Bike Teams raced on Medici. What should have taken five minutes ended up closer to an hour. The home and Gary attacked the trenching again, turning himself into another ball of pure sweat. But he's 90% finished, with maybe some 15' to go ... but it's the ugly 15' ... through trees and roots and stuff.

All your hard work trenching will be worth it when you and ML sip your first glass of wine in the new jacuzzi while listening to some Sade.
Every evening after working in the back, Mary Lou looks at the clearing where the hot tub will go and says "I can sure use the hot tub tonight." lol

@smoke665: Mary Lou hates it whenever Gary climbs up on the roof. You might think of getting a harness and what construction workers call a yo-yo. Gary believes they are call 'Fall Limiters'/'Fall Protection'. You clip it to your harness and the other clips to an anchor on the roof (a roof clamp or a zip line). It works like a chest strap on the seat belt. It allows easy motion but will retract with a very quick pull.

If a couple of young roofers got on our roof and put one foot wrong they would fall through.

4.3x hours today and 10.25 for the week so far.

Tomorrow will be busy. Was going to replace the wheels on a basket but that has to wait until tomorrow. One or two shelves to put up in the meat department and of course the Marquee.

Just finished chicken tenders and gravy at the deli. Going to People's Bank before PO and then the box at the front of the neighborhood and then home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Holy crap!! That sounds nasty - too much like Georgia!! Around here the kids go back in early August, but the schools keep the AC running. After school sports is always a nail-biter - it's just too hot to do much and, despite efforts to keep them hydrated it can't stop annual reports of heat exhaustion, passing out, or even deaths in a few tragic instances. It's still too hot, people!!

Holy crap!! That sounds nasty - too much like Georgia!! Around here the kids go back in early August, but the schools keep the AC running. After school sports is always a nail-biter - it's just too hot to do much and, despite efforts to keep them hydrated it can't stop annual reports of heat exhaustion, passing out, or even deaths in a few tragic instances. It's still too hot, people!!

Used to be that ac in the school would be a waste as it would only be needed for one or two days at the most. It didn't really heat up here until late June after school got out and school used to start the day after Labor Day. Now the weather is definitely hotter earlier and stays hot longer and school starts the last week of August... I feel bad for the kids but if it were just sitting in a classroom I would say suck it up buttercup...

The field hockey coach is all about speed and they run sprints for at least half of every practice (including yesterday when it was in the 90's). Plus, Princess and the majority of the team didn't pass the sprint test last week so have to be in "fitness club" which means they have to run additional sprints after practice until they can meet the coach's goals. They have to run: 5 100 yard sprints (25 yards and back) with a goal of 25 seconds and a rest of 45 seconds between each. Next do 5 200 yard sprints (25 yards and back) with a goal of 55 seconds and a 1 min rest between each. I'm overheated just thinking about it.

I feel that today and tomorrow will be way too hot for this type of practice. Adding a note to an email to "listen to your body and drink lots of water" doesn't excuse or indemnify the coach from responsibility for even starting that type of practice when the temps and humidity are above 90. The football team has a scrimmage tomorrow after school and there are many parents calling for that to be canceled because of the heat and how dangerous it will be for the kids to be out there in all that equipment. Of course the football mentality of being tough (from the coaches and players) is what prevents many of these kids from speaking up when they are not feeling right...

@smoke665: Mary Lou hates it whenever Gary climbs up on the roof. You might think of getting a harness and what construction workers call a yo-yo. Gary believes they are call 'Fall Limiters'/'Fall Protection'. You clip it to your harness and the other clips to an anchor on the roof (a roof clamp or a zip line). It works like a chest strap on the seat belt. It allows easy motion but will retract with a very quick pull.

As I stood in the shade sweating, and watching them work, I only had one thought "money well spent'.

Hmmmm... I am also irritable. Rebooting now.

Most reactions

Back