The Coffee House

@limr it is hard to go thru all the accumulative things that we pick up along the way. 50 years is a long time to be in one house and hard to see their home sold. When I did this for both our mothers, I kept thinking is this how it ends with a few items in a box? Life in a box.

I dejunk here a few times a year. I don't want to burden my daughters when it is our turn to downsize.

@limr it is hard to go thru all the accumulative things that we pick up along the way. 50 years is a long time to be in one house and hard to see their home sold. When I did this for both our mothers, I kept thinking is this how it ends with a few items in a box? Life in a box.

I dejunk here a few times a year. I don't want to burden my daughters when it is our turn to downsize.
I think that's very wise, Cheryl. We've moved twice in the last decade - the first time to Texas to literally do this job for my MIL when my FIL passed, somewhat unexpectedly though he'd been in poor health. We stayed around a few years but really has no desire to live in Texas, so we packed up and moved again.

During both moves, we tried to sort & dump stuff. Our lives will be measured in boxes of photography gear and art supplies. :lol:

Only two things in life are worse than moving house, divorce, and close family death...

Kidney stones and gout are too.

Hi @JonA_CT . I thought about you a little bit back when we drove through Ct on the way to RI. Glad the brewery survived and sounds like it’s growing and going to be a worthy venture!

During both moves, we tried to sort & dump stuff. Our lives will be measured in boxes of photography gear and art supplies.
Whenever I bug my husband to dejunk his trash treasures he reminds me of my photography closet :lol:

My wife began feeling ill the weekend before last, on Monday (09/27/21) she was able to get a doctor's appointment. They gave her a chest X-Ray, and swabbed her for COVID-19, the next day she was informed she was positive for COVID, we both were in a state of shock, as we both had been vaccinated. I was tested that day (Tuesday) and the results on me came back negative. Also on that Wednesday the hospital gave her an appointment for Friday (10/01/21) to come in for the Monoclonal antibodies infusion. Saturday she didn't feel any better, Sunday she felt slightly better. Today she is remarkedly better, she tells me she feels almost normal. That infusion treatment works wonders!
Surprisingly, I never caught it, go figure.
All I can say is, God forbid, anybody develops COVID, please get that infusion treatment...it really is a gamechanger.

👋

I still use a camera occasionally -- hope all are well!

View attachment 248842

View attachment 248844

Funny story about I how I posted here yesterday...

I was transferred to the high school from the middle school in my district this year, and I have quite a few old students on my roster. One of the girls I had 4 years ago asked if I was still doing photography since my room was decorated in prints at the middle school, and got me to look for some recent photos on my computer. It turns out that one of my other student's in that class has some photography/youtube/tutorial celebrities as parents, which explains why her step-dad looked familiar :lol: . Anyways, I posted here after digging through the archives a bit.

Life is pretty solid here. Things at school are pretty good. Last school year was super rough with a variety of teaching models, teaching kids in the classroom and at home simultaneously, etc etc... but our only restrictions at this point is that we wear masks inside the building, and that's a super small price to pay in comparison.

We moved last summer, and are finally feeling settled in the new house at this point. The brewery survived/thrived during the pandemic. Initial debt and expansion are almost paid off, and we're looking for a new, larger brewhouse and taproom space now. We've also hooked up with distributor that is getting our product out to an ever increasing number of states, so definitely look for Tox Brewing in the Northeast at your favorite package store, haha.

I feel a lot of motivation to take the camera out these days, just not much time. I keep thinking if I carry it around, I might use it...but no success so far.

Jon! So nice to see your post. The kids are beautiful and look happy and healthy! I'm sure teaching has been epically challenging the past 18 months. I've thought of you and your family during these difficult times. Congratulations on the new house and success with your business. When the kids are that age, you can pretty much forget about time for photography unless you're willing to sacrifice sleep. I did a lot of sunrise photos before Princess had to be up for school and a lot of late night editing. If your kids enjoy hiking, forget about planning a big elaborate landscape shoot with perfect timing and ideal lighting - leave your tripod at home and go exploring with your kids and a lightweight camera and zoom. Just shoot!

Again - happy to see you and your family are healthy and well!

It's good to hear from you, Jon! Glad to hear things are good with the brewery, and you can bet I will start looking for some 6-packs :)

Hosers.

The closing for my mother's house was on Monday. It is sold. It belongs to someone else after more than 50 years. It was a herculean effort to get everything packed or donated or thrown away. The process started months ago but it still took four of us at least a month to finish the last of it all. My mother has never been organized, but she has also been fairly traumatized by the whole process that it was basically up to us siblings (except for my 5th sibling who stayed in Florida.) I will admit that we went through a LOT Of bourbon ;)

It is going to take her some time to feel better, but we know this is the best decision for her and for us. In the meantime, she is staying wit my brother and sister-in-law in North Carolina until we figure out where her next home will be.

It was a very stressful, emotional process for all of us and I am going to be recovering for a little while. Exhausted and drained doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go sleep for 3 days.

@snowbear Sounds like you've been dealing with some similar stuff, though I'm sorry to hear that it's because of mid-sister's health troubles. I hope you can talk her into getting the surgery. I have also somehow ended up with a lot more stuff from my mother's house than I expected to have, so now it's time to go through my own house to donate or toss things to make room for new stuff and prevent my house from getting too cluttered. If I learned anything from this whole process, it's that as much as I have pared down, I need to pare down even more!

Oh Leo that must have been a lot of work and very tiring emotionally.

My wife began feeling ill the weekend before last, on Monday (09/27/21) she was able to get a doctor's appointment. They gave her a chest X-Ray, and swabbed her for COVID-19, the next day she was informed she was positive for COVID, we both were in a state of shock, as we both had been vaccinated. I was tested that day (Tuesday) and the results on me came back negative. Also on that Wednesday the hospital gave her an appointment for Friday (10/01/21) to come in for the Monoclonal antibodies infusion. Saturday she didn't feel any better, Sunday she felt slightly better. Today she is remarkedly better, she tells me she feels almost normal. That infusion treatment works wonders!
Surprisingly, I never caught it, go figure.
All I can say is, God forbid, anybody develops COVID, please get that infusion treatment...it really is a gamechanger.
Good grief. I'm so glad she's better and you never tested positive.

The word on the vaccine has been that, should you still get covid-19, it will dramatically reduce any chance of you having to be hospitalized, and be able to bounce back quicker with treatment. There have been terrific advancements with these treatments, too - excellent that she got it so fast!

Eventually we'll beat this damn thing. :heartpump: Stay well!

Oh Leo that must have been a lot of work and very tiring emotionally.

Can't say it was the easiest thing I've ever done. The hardest part of saying goodbye to the house was that it felt like saying goodbye to my father. He renovated that house for us to move in back in 1975. There was SO much of him in the house - the custom staircase railing, the fireplace, the archways. It's been 15 years since he died but it felt like I could still "visit" with him in the house just by resting my hand on the fireplace, but then we had to say goodbye to that, too. So I am feeling a lot better, but still get randomly teary-eyed. It felt good to have nothing to do all weekend long.

Go Sox! I always miss Gary A the most during MLB post season. I hope he is well.

Can't say it was the easiest thing I've ever done. The hardest part of saying goodbye to the house was that it felt like saying goodbye to my father. He renovated that house for us to move in back in 1975. There was SO much of him in the house - the custom staircase railing, the fireplace, the archways. It's been 15 years since he died but it felt like I could still "visit" with him in the house just by resting my hand on the fireplace, but then we had to say goodbye to that, too. So I am feeling a lot better, but still get randomly teary-eyed. It felt good to have nothing to do all weekend long.
:icon_hug:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back