The Command Post-what do you think?

stsinner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
All comments are appreciated-love it, hate it.. Done with Photoshop CS3.

commandpostMedium.jpg

Reminds me of A Scanner Darkly. What plugin is that?

I don't care for it...doesn't even look like a photo anymore, so what's the point.

Heavy use of the posterize filter?

I do a lot of stuff like this for contract work (I have a thread around here in the graphic arts gallery I update every once in a while, er, here it is: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-gallery/126883-study-way-overprocessing.html ). Obviously it takes it way away from being a photo, but when it's done as well as this one is, it definitely stays in the realm of artwork. Most people so abuse these filters it's crazy.

Something you might try... Do a good process of the original image and put it under the processed one, then adjust the opacity of the cartoon-ish layer to about 90-95%. It gives it this extremely detailed 'real' quality to it that's quite entertaining, but still retains most of the sketch/animated qualities.

Reminds me of A Scanner Darkly. What plugin is that?

It's not a plugin-I just played around with posterize, surface blur, etc.. The first one I tried to do this to was of my daughter, and I just couldn't get it to look the least bit good.. I was happier with this one, as you can at least tell what it is.

I don't care for it...doesn't even look like a photo anymore, so what's the point.

Yeah, I guess it's pretty heavily Photoshopped.

I like it.

Thanks, Josh. I like it, too.

Yeah, it's not all that interesting, but I thought it walked the line between fact and fiction pretty well once I was done.

Thanks for all the comments.

Heavy use of the posterize filter?

I do a lot of stuff like this for contract work (I have a thread around here in the graphic arts gallery I update every once in a while, er, here it is: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-gallery/126883-study-way-overprocessing.html ). Obviously it takes it way away from being a photo, but when it's done as well as this one is, it definitely stays in the realm of artwork. Most people so abuse these filters it's crazy.

Something you might try... Do a good process of the original image and put it under the processed one, then adjust the opacity of the cartoon-ish layer to about 90-95%. It gives it this extremely detailed 'real' quality to it that's quite entertaining, but still retains most of the sketch/animated qualities.

Awesome idea, Rufus.. Thanks for the compliment, and yes, it was the Posterize filter, mostly.

Pretty nicely done effect. Rufus, also enjoyed your over-processing thread. I do agree that it's not so much a photo anymore, but I still think it's interesting and well done.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried this with other subjects (a portrait, maybe)?

I'd be interested in seeing how it looks. While not a "photograph", I still think it's pretty cool.

Josh, here's one I did of my daughter drinking her sippie cup. As you can see, it's not just a simple Posterize.. A lot of edge work and such. I may make an action if I can get it down to a science. I used pretty much the same steps in this one-posterize, poster edges, adjust hue/saturation, etc., but I don't like a human subject nearly as much as the laptop picture:

AbbySippyCtoon.jpg
\\\\

And here's an overlay of the 'shopped image with 30% opacity. Not nearly as nice as Rufus'.. Hey Rufus, what blending mode did you use? Used Overlay:

AbbySippyOlay.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back