What's new

The Death Star (Inside the lens)

LawrenceChiu

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 16, 2011
Messages
40
Reaction score
2
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
WARNING. DON'T LOOK IF YOU HATE LENS GETTING TAKING APART.
So, today I took apart my 18-55mm kit lens to have fun and to see how the motor works.
Before you say... what the heck did you take apart a perfectly good lens... well, the lens was in poor condition because it was a school's lens that was abused from kids that don't know how to operate a lens in photography class.
The manual focus was broken and AF wasn't connected.
When I took apart the lens, I found out that multiple connectors were broken because people were turning the focus ring while the AF lens was AF.
But yeah... if you ever wonder what the inside of the lens look like...
TBH... as an engineer, it's really not that complicated to make one of these lens when I look at it. Lenses are a bit overpriced in my opinion, but it's probably because of the research that was put into it.

$IMG_5296.webp
 
The pricing is probably due to how accurate the glass has to be.
 
TBH... as an engineer, it's really not that complicated to make one of these lens when I look at it. Lenses are a bit overpriced in my opinion, but it's probably because of the research that was put into it.
R&D + Laypeople don't know any better, thus high prices may be commanded.

Some lenses however, such as the exotic telephotos require absolute precision, and can take a while to assemble. I remember seeing a video on how the 500mm f/4L is made, and I recall the Flourite elements taking up to 4 months to grow to a size large enough to cut for use in the 500, making each 500mm a 4 month long assembly process. (I could be way wrong though)
 
yes, the cost really has very little to do with the barrel or electronics, it's really all the glass.

Good video on lens production here:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Research market prices for optical glass. That will explain a lot.
 
Wow! Though I think it looks more like Tony Starks old heart than a death star! (let's see if any one figures out who Tony Stark is) lol

Iron Man


Anyways, that's really slick seeing the insides. Thanks a lot for posting them
 
Wow! Though I think it looks more like Tony Starks old heart than a death star! (let's see if any one figures out who Tony Stark is) lol
Well technically, it was his arc reactor that was powering a magnet that kept the shrapnel from getting into his circulatory system.
 
looks complicated to me :D
 
I guess if you want the precise shape of the glass to bend, it will cost a lot.
Like... round shape aquarium glass are almost triple the price of a regular flat rectangle aquarium.
 
Ha. I have been taking apart my Sony 18-55 as well. I took it apart because it was sticking while zooming in and it was affecting video. But I somehow messed it up I think. When its full-wide, it auto focuses just fine. but if I zoom in, it does not. Today I took it apart and put it back for the 5th or 7th time I don't remember and to get it to AF at full Tele, I have to turn the front focusing ring ever so slightly and it focuses. Any idea what I messed up when I put it back?
 
@Shutter
I have no clue... usually when you take apart the lens, you have to take multiple pictures of the lens before to proceed to take even more parts out.
Trying to take apart a lens or camera body and putting it back together is more complicated than solving a rubik cube and a giant jigsaw puzzle
 
yeah, I've learnt the lesson now. I'm used to taking apart guitars and amps but never this delicate equipment like lens. But the Sony lens does not even have a stabilizer or anything complicated and so I thought I'll give it a shot. its mostly working now. I think there's some dust or debris which is preventing it from auto focusing when zoomed in.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom