"The Dust Patrol" D-SLR (Sensor) Brush?

Cortian

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Have any of the membership here ever given a The Dust Patrol sensor brush a try?

Apparently it works by taking a charge from having air blown across it, such as from a Giottos Rocket Air Blaster. Apparently you don't even need it to touch the sensor for it to grab the dust.

With my recent experience in trying to clean the sensor in my 20D, I'm researching all the possibilities I can find.

I'm thinking that, going forward: Air, then brush, then wet (such as the VSGO cleaning swabs Braineack likes).

Thanks In Advance!

If an Air Blaster can't get dust off your sensor then you probably don't have dust on your sensor and would require a cleaning solution.

When using the Air Blaster hold the camera so that sensor is facing the ground. A brush would be redundant and I wouldn't want any kind of brush touching the sensor.

Thing about this brush is you don't actually use it as a "brush," per se. Blowing air across it causes it to take a static charge. Holding it near, or only lightly touching, the sensor causes it to attract the dust. Reportedly it does work.

The advantage claimed over air blasting is air blasting can actually displace dust elsewhere in the chamber, where it can then land on the sensor.

As I understand it: The glass covering on the sensors is not especially delicate. Major problem with literally brushing a sensor is picking up debris and lubricants from around the sensor and depositing them on it.

I do use this brush and I do recommend it for second level cleaning (the first level is a blower to get the big lumps off). IMO it does a better job on dust and dirt that is not adhered to the sensor than the Arctic Butterfly at a fraction of the cost of that device. Your problem however seems to be more smears on the sensor rather than dust and dirt particles and that will need a wet clean with sensor swabs and cleaning fluid.

Thing about this brush is you don't actually use it as a "brush," per se. Blowing air across it causes it to take a static charge. Holding it near, or only lightly touching, the sensor causes it to attract the dust. Reportedly it does work.

The advantage claimed over air blasting is air blasting can actually displace dust elsewhere in the chamber, where it can then land on the sensor.

As I understand it: The glass covering on the sensors is not especially delicate. Major problem with literally brushing a sensor is picking up debris and lubricants from around the sensor and depositing them on it.

This is why I have the sensor facing down when I air blast it so nothing floats back down on it. I know sensors are not as delicate as people believe but always my last resort is to touch the sensor with something. I just think that if you already have an air blaster that the brush is not going to give you that much added benifit.

I do use this brush and I do recommend it for second level cleaning (the first level is a blower to get the big lumps off). IMO it does a better job on dust and dirt that is not adhered to the sensor than the Arctic Butterfly at a fraction of the cost of that device.
Thanks for the first-hand report, Alex. Your experience mirrors what I've seen reported in Amazon reviews and elsewhere. And the same progression: Air, brush, swab.

Your problem however seems to be more smears on the sensor rather than dust and dirt particles and that will need a wet clean with sensor swabs and cleaning fluid.
Yeah. My bad. Used a lens brush I received with the camera. Only after that I read the downside of using a brush, as a brush, is picking up lubricants from around the sensor.

Right now I've got the TDP brush, a VSGO "pro" cleaning swabs kit and a Giottos large Rocket in my shopping list.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back