The fetish fair and other shots - c & c welcome

Lazy Photographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
lazyphotographer.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Toronto hosted an annual fetish fair. The first shot is from that. The others are from other outings.

FetishFair-409-EDITED-3.jpg

GraffitiAlley-112-EDITED-2.jpg

PortraitDay-0631-EDITED-2.jpg

DistilleryDistrict-145-EDITED.jpg

FetishFair-499-EDITED-4.jpg

PortraitDay-0931-EDITED-2.jpg

GraffitiAlley-183-EDITED.jpg

PortraitDay-0305-EDITED.jpg

PortraitDay-0462-EDITED.jpg

Last edited:
Why does that look like an 8yr old boy. Its almost quite disgusting. Bet ya met some top of the line winners at that joint.

Why does that look like an 8yr old boy. Its almost quite disgusting. Bet ya met some top of the line winners at that joint.
+1. F'n creepy to me.

#5 is my favorite, I really how there is a guy in it, it adds scale.

The shots are all fantastic though. Love the PP work on the ones that were PP'd. The 5th shows a great sense of scale.

It's more fun to learn about it and try to understand it, then you won't be afraid of it.

Nice images LS

Bitter, I like it when girls want to be rough with me, but im 16, there is no way any chick is dressing me up as a leather dog.

Bitter, I like it when girls want to be rough with me, but im 16, there is no way any chick is dressing me up as a leather dog.

Maybe a bit SM for you sir, don't worry, if you stick with this game you'll have numerous cuckoos and their requests to deal with. H

It's more fun to learn about it and try to understand it, then you won't be afraid of it.

Nice images LS

Bingo, BitterJ.

Attending such an event doesn't necessarily mean you have to understand it. What I got out of it was that these "freaks" are actually people just like the rest of us. Everyone was friendly and accommodating and no one had a problem being photographed. They were having a gay ol' time. :) I don't get their "hobby," nor do I care to, but I don't knock 'em for it.

The guy in the mask actually found the photo I took of him on my Flickr page and from there found my blog and posted a very nice comment.

I guess the point is, it's very easy to pass judgment from afar but the more time you spend around groups whose lifestyles you don't really understand or agree with, the more you realize that behind the differences are real people who for the most part aren't that different.

And if that didn't sell you, consider this: If you want to up your game as a photographer, you're going to have to put yourself into uncomfortable places and situations to get the shot. Last Saturday, the day before the fetish fair, I spent 8 hours meandering through downtown Toronto with another photographer friend. We got into a discussion about the difficulty of asking strangers in the street if we could photograph them. I'm pretty shy and he's terribly shy. He said, "Oh, I will never be able to ask people to take their photos."

I said, "That's because you're approaching it wrong. You're worried they'll say no or something offensive and embarrassing. You're worried about rejection.

"Turn it around," I said. "Make it a game to see how many people you can get to say No to your request. Look at Yes as the failure and No as the success." I then went on to try to prove my point and asked at least 20 to 30 people if I could take their photo. To my astonishment, many said yes -- far more than I would have guessed. In the end I came away with quite a few shots of strangers I really like.

But in doing this I started talking to homeless people and paying them for their photograph. I never talk to homeless people. To be honest, I look down my nose at them. As the day went by, however, I began to realize these people are really not that much different than you or I. They're just down and out, for whatever reason. Often it's a mental health reason or an addiction. Taking their photo opened up a dialogue I would never have entertained before. It really changed my thinking and frankly I don't see homeless people the same way I used to. Once I get some of those photos processed I'll post a couple here. But the point is, and sorry for the looong road to get to it, unless you're willing to reach out and engage the things in life that you are repulsed by or uncomfortable with, you're world will forever be small. Take a chance, put yourself in the line of fire. You might come away with a new mindset and you'll very likely come away with some great photos for your trouble.

Sorry for the drawn out comment. Just felt like writing this morning, I guess.

Thanks everyone for your comments. If you'd like to see another shot from the fetish fair, one far more disturbing, check it out on my blog:
http://lazyphotographr.wordpress.com/2010/08/16/full-on-fetish-mode/

Excellent post LP. Saved me a lot of typing :)

Stephen, I was not suggesting you try things like that. But you can look at some of it almost as a different culture. There is also a lot of psychology behind it. Not always good, but typically harmless fulfilling of needs.

Besides, we are all freaks in one way or another, when viewed through eyes other than our own. :D

Most reactions

Back