Which is better

• Total voters

openminded87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Wondering if I could get some feedback on these two shots. Minor differences, both are SOOC. Would appreciate any advice on cropping or tweaking.

I can't decide if I like the straighter one or the crisper kingfisher one myself

manual lens and Canon d30

Thanks in advance
upload_2019-2-18_0-22-7.png

upload_2019-2-18_0-23-36.png

Unfortunately on the world of photography you are judged mostly on sharpness; that you have great glass and simply were too far out to garner a sharp image, or less than stellar prime lenses and shot at an aperture that created softness; or that you didn't set your diopter correctly is of no concern to the viewer who wants to the point of demands a clean, sharp, well composed image. This shot does not fulfill any of those parameters for one or more of the aforementioned issues.

I like the straighter shot. While not ideal you can still get a little more detail with some post production. I spent about two minutes just to show that you can get a little more out of this. I realize this is not perfect just an example.
upload_2019-2-18_0-22-7.png

Thanks for the feedback :) I liked the straighter one but was unsure if the clarity was better on the other one, so was asking more experienced eyes :)

At Jeff G, can I ask what you changed? You got some of the colour popping more that anything i tried last night (its raw file originally)

Context:
  • It was shot from a moving 43 year old classic car on a gravel road in New Zealand doing about 20km/h
  • I was driving and instructing a (non photographer) friend

out of interest for anyone interested in manual glass - Glass is a 200mm f2.8 Canon FD (i understand that was professional glass in the manual days?) on a crop body (so its essentially a 280mm lens without a tripod), probably shot at f/8 or f/11 aperture priority to make it easy on my friend who had to manually focus ;)

I took it into photoshop, under filters adjusted the sharpness with smart sharpen, then under image, adjust, levels, adjust the sliders to your liking. there are probably better or easier ways to do this but it works for me.

Most reactions

Back