The Fuji Finepix S5600

rai

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. Would just like your opinion on this new Fuji camera. Has anyone used the S5600 yet? If so what did you think about it, in terms of Image Quality at standard and higher pixel resolution, ease of use and more importantly for action shots and low light/night shots.

I've read some buyer reviews on various websites, but it's baffling. For example some claim it's really good in low light, others have said not so good and also using the extra zoom still causes bluring.

any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure that it's a pretty good camera, for what it is. The Finepix line of cameras are quite popular.

For some people, it may be good enough for action shots and low light shots...for some people...it might be very inadequate. Will it be good enough for you?

I don't like that type of camera (what I call point & shoot Digicams) for action shots because it typically takes a while to 'snap' the shot after the button is pressed. It may only be half a second, but that's enough to miss the action shot...or miss a facial expression.

Also, those types of cameras may have a few ISO settings but the higher settings produce images that are full of digital noise. (although they are getting better all the time)

The type of digital camera that I have (and many people here) is a digital SLR camera. The main advantage is that the digital sensor is much bigger than the ones found in digicams. This along with better electronics, allows a DSLR to use higher ISO settings with lower noise...which is a big help with low light shots. Also, they have an actual shutter, like a film camera...so they are much quicker to snap the shot when we press the button. Another advantage is that they allow the photographer to change the lens. You can put on a lens that will suit your purpose...wether that's landscape, sports, portraits or whatever.

The trade off is money...DSLRs are expensive but getting cheaper all the time. Also, the lenses are expensive...and the really good ones are very, very expensive...but they hold their value better than any digital camera because they mostly interchangeable with newer cameras.

If you are serious about photography and want to get shots that a typical digicam just wont get...I'd suggest an entry level DSLR. Something like a Canon Rebel XT or a Nikon D50. They may be more expensive than the Fuji you are looking at...but they are much, much more of a camera.

Hey thanks for the reply. Well I should have explained what my budget is and my experience with digi cameras. I've had an Olympus c-2000 zoom which I bought just before the turn of the millenium. As old as it is, it still packs a punch with incredible image quality and it pretty damn good in low light. I usually take landscape/nature pics and i'm improving as I go along, learning about different aspects of digital photography and how best to capture creative shots.

Now I need a camera that will give me a longer ranged zoom in the case of the S5600 10X and a bigger pixel count (5.1mp) as well as good image quality. Unfortunately as much as I would LOVE to purchase a DSLR, lack of funds simply won't allow me to stretch that far. I will surely invest in one at some point in time though as my skill level increases and I am able to put up the funds. At the moment I need something that is a step higher than standard compact point and shoot, but isn't quite dslr. I've done a bit of research on the S5600 and it seems like the right camera for me. I am, I suppose 90% on buying it, and what impresses me is that the managed to stick in a super CCD sensor and some other good features not found on standard p&s cameras such as an anti blur setting and good manual controls.

I've found one of these on an online store retailing for £218 which is the cheapest I've seen it anywhere (retail price usually around £250-300) So i'm very tempted to go for it, to use in the mean time, and hopefully upgrade later on. So I guess I'm just after a few last minute opinions before I jump in at the deep end and buy it. Unless of course anyone can suggest a comparative alternative?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back