The full frame life's for me!

Jeez people, cool down, aren't we all here to learn?

@elizpage I think one of your mistake is that you grew attached to your images. Which is kind of normal when you think about it. However, if you learn to detach yourself and not "appreciate" your own work in some way, you'll be able to take in a bit better criticisms and even do better criticism of your own work by yourself. Why I say this is because the moment someone say something that isn't levelled to your opinion you seems to be going on the defensive-aggressive. Which in turn make some... other people turn on fully aggressive.

Now for the criticisms, I didn't read all of the other's comment so I'm sorry if I repeat something already said.
-First thing I see is that the pictures are a bit dark, they were probably taken on a cloudy day if I'm not mistaken. In such situation you might want to increase a stop or two higher than you normally would on a normal day.
-There is a line in the background that is intersecting with the edge of your subject's head in the first picture. Composition rules state you should avoid such intersection for good reasons. You can easily fix those by "learning to see the world on a flat plane instead of a 3D plane" as my teacher always say. I personally find that looking at the edge of your screen in a clockwise motion help to spot such line ( and also those pesky speck of grass in the corners in other situation).
-Background for the second picture is terrible, I'm sorry but this one has to go. There's no nice way of saying this nor any corrective you can apply.
-When posting in a section that isn't "just for fun", you might want to post the finished product unless you have question about a retouching aspect of the image.
-Colour is good
-Focus is tact sharp
-Expression and posing is good, did you also direct her what to wear and what pose to do ?

Glad you enjoy your new 6D, I'm planing to upgrade to it very soon too actually. I was hesitating between the 5DmkIII and the 6D, and when I compared low light performances, the 6D came out on top. 1500$ less expensive is a big bonus too.

OP- If you continue to practice, read all you can about photography, practice, hang around this forum, and practice, then a year from now you will look back at the photos in this thread and do this weird combination of laugh, cry, and smile.

You will smile because you will see how far you have came.

It would be much more constructive to give me an image that would have been shot in a similar situation where you feel you did better or the person did better. Or actually some.. Idk.. Tips? Rather than just giving me nothing that I can work with rather that I need to work on the basics...

Tips?
1. There is "Just for Fun" section on this forum where members post their fun pics, if you post in other sections, you are open to C&C which may be quite harsh. There is nothing personal in this criticism, so do not take it personal. Critical posts may be not pleasant but they are much more useful than "what a nice photo!" and "oh, she is gorgeous" .

On the other hand, having the thread in this forum doesn't relinquish one's ability to read the tone of a thread.

And this forum isn't specifically for C&C anyways. It's sometimes just for photos that people think are important and want to socialize positively about it. I don't see people being like

"Yeah, I know you're excited about your son's birthday, and he's cute and all, but have you considered that your photos are terrible?"

If your vague criticism ends or begins with "Sorry to rain on your parade," it might be wise to reconsider your approach.

This post should have been what the first one isn't.

Last edited:
It would be much more constructive to give me an image that would have been shot in a similar situation where you feel you did better or the person did better. Or actually some.. Idk.. Tips? Rather than just giving me nothing that I can work with rather that I need to work on the basics...

Tips?
1. There is "Just for Fun" section on this forum where members post their fun pics, if you post in other sections, you are open to C&C which may be quite harsh. There is nothing personal in this criticism, so do not take it personal. Critical posts may be not pleasant but they are much more useful than "what a nice photo!" and "oh, she is gorgeous" .

On the other hand, having the thread in this forum doesn't relinquish one's ability to read the tone of a thread.

And this forum isn't specifically for C&C anyways. It's sometimes just for photos that people think are important and want to socialize positively about it. I don't see people being like

"Yeah, I know you're excited about your son's birthday, and he's cute and all, but have you considered that your photos are terrible?"

If your vague criticism ends or begins with "Sorry to rain on your parade," it might be wise to reconsider your approach.

This post should have been what the first one isn't.

Exactly. I was unaware this was only for C&C... THANK YOU so much for this post. You rock.

I wanted to just socialize about a photo I snapped for fun, ha. I absolutely LOVE your comparison. People are unnecessary mean for no reason...

People fight battles and express themselves visually. One of my outlets is photography for the struggles of my life we all have...

Furthermore, I refuse to take criticism from someone who won't even post their own work. I think being rude is sometimes peoples' way of expressing fear, you know? So I can't help but feel sympathy..

Jeez people, cool down, aren't we all here to learn?

@elizpage I think one of your mistake is that you grew attached to your images. Which is kind of normal when you think about it. However, if you learn to detach yourself and not "appreciate" your own work in some way, you'll be able to take in a bit better criticisms and even do better criticism of your own work by yourself. Why I say this is because the moment someone say something that isn't levelled to your opinion you seems to be going on the defensive-aggressive. Which in turn make some... other people turn on fully aggressive.

Now for the criticisms, I didn't read all of the other's comment so I'm sorry if I repeat something already said.
-First thing I see is that the pictures are a bit dark, they were probably taken on a cloudy day if I'm not mistaken. In such situation you might want to increase a stop or two higher than you normally would on a normal day.
-There is a line in the background that is intersecting with the edge of your subject's head in the first picture. Composition rules state you should avoid such intersection for good reasons. You can easily fix those by "learning to see the world on a flat plane instead of a 3D plane" as my teacher always say. I personally find that looking at the edge of your screen in a clockwise motion help to spot such line ( and also those pesky speck of grass in the corners in other situation).
-Background for the second picture is terrible, I'm sorry but this one has to go. There's no nice way of saying this nor any corrective you can apply.
-When posting in a section that isn't "just for fun", you might want to post the finished product unless you have question about a retouching aspect of the image.
-Colour is good
-Focus is tact sharp
-Expression and posing is good, did you also direct her what to wear and what pose to do ?

Glad you enjoy your new 6D, I'm planing to upgrade to it very soon too actually. I was hesitating between the 5DmkIII and the 6D, and when I compared low light performances, the 6D came out on top. 1500$ less expensive is a big bonus too.

Thank you! I like that quote from your teacher :)

Its a great Camera,has wonderful image quality and its canon so you can add some of the best L glass on the market.I had the 6D for a while and was a great tool and reliable.Enjoy it,best of luck.

ok, so...
cleaned things up in here a bit. (almost went scorched earth)
I deleted posts for a number of reasons. some were deleted because they were rude, some because of quoted posts, and a few just because without the surrounding/quoted posts they didnt make much sense.
it is possible some benign posts got wiped out in the scourge, and if you feel that your post was just an innocent civilian causality, I apologize for the splash damage.

im going to go on record here and say that precluding your post with things like "im just being honest", "sorry to say this, but..."
"you need to toughen up", "im just telling it like it is", or any number of other variations on that theme does not give you free reign to descend into uncivilized behavior.
it is entirely possible to offer up critique, and yes...even point out flaws and technical issues, without being a jerk about it.
this is an issue that has been discussed many times among the mods before, and while it was decided that warning points should be given out for this behavior (leading up to temp bans) it has yet to really be enforced.
I think it is time for that to change.
if you cannot offer critique or advice (or anything else for that matter) in a civil manner, please refrain from commenting.

im sure that there are plenty of forums that don't care about what you say or how you say it, but this is not one of them.
I think that pretty much sums things up here....carry on folks.

Most reactions

Back