What's new

The Garage

firelight

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 22, 2012
Messages
18
Reaction score
1
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, I'm still new to this, so any advice that you can give that would help me improve would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

taken with:
Nikon d80
18-55mm ED lens
manual
ISO equiv 200

tools-1.jpg

55mm f5.6 1/3 second

tools-4.jpg

55mm f5.6 0.6 second

Thanks for the input
 
Nice! I'd like to see the last pic shot with some harsh dramatic off camera flash with some of that ambient light mixed in =)
 
Thanks for the kind words from both of you

I'd like to see the last pic shot with some harsh dramatic off camera flash with some of that ambient light mixed in
I just got into digital photography, and I don't have a separate flash unit yet. I would love to get one sometime, as soon as I scrape up some more money. Do you have any favorites or suggestions for a flash? And thanks again!
 
:lmao: Where is your picture?
I only see a blown out white background with black letters there.

Edit: now I see them.
 
What are your subjects in these two images and what makes you take pictures of them?
 
im a fan of the first one a bit more, i feel like it could be something from a scary movie. Maybe if you played with lighting a little more you can achieve an even better effect. But i like them :)
 
What are your subjects in these two images and what makes you take pictures of them?
My subjects are the cro-bar and the welding helmet respectively. I wanted to take pictures of them because they have a tremendous amount of character. They have both accumulated many nics and scratches of the years, and they have beaten appearance that is an indicator of genuine age and use. For that reason, I chose not to move them from their normal places, and I included a fair deal of their surroundings. I feel this results in the backgrounds being a bit distracting, though I felt like including their surroundings is much like taking a picture of wildlife and choosing to keep a significant amount of the natural surroundings in the frame. While the additional clutter may distract the eye temporarily, I think their presence lends support to the heritage of the main subjects.

Of course, that was just my intention, if the result doesn't do anything for you, you're entirely justified in saying so. I would appreciate any advice you have about how you think I could improve.

Thanks again!
 
What are your subjects in these two images and what makes you take pictures of them?
My subjects are the cro-bar and the welding helmet respectively. I wanted to take pictures of them because they have a tremendous amount of character. They have both accumulated many nics and scratches of the years, and they have beaten appearance that is an indicator of genuine age and use. For that reason, I chose not to move them from their normal places, and I included a fair deal of their surroundings. I feel this results in the backgrounds being a bit distracting, though I felt like including their surroundings is much like taking a picture of wildlife and choosing to keep a significant amount of the natural surroundings in the frame. While the additional clutter may distract the eye temporarily, I think their presence lends support to the heritage of the main subjects.

Of course, that was just my intention, if the result doesn't do anything for you, you're entirely justified in saying so. I would appreciate any advice you have about how you think I could improve.

Thanks again!

i get that, and actually agree with it sometimes the surroundings really do give it a clearer and stronger meaning. Perhaps if you have some sort of light source you could point it at the welding helmet to bring the attention to it since the surroundings could be considered distracting to some people. just an idea :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom