The glory of an external flash

OregonAmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
picasaweb.google.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got one for Christmas this year (thank you hubby!!). I took 2 pictures to compare - one with built-in flash and one with the SB-600. I can't WAIT to take more with my new flash. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

built-in:
DSC_0007.jpg

SB-600:
DSC_0033.NEF.jpg

:thumbup::thumbup:

ETA - I'm not drinking chimay - that's an Ommegang Hennepin FWIW

Wow, that really is a huge difference. Not completely sure why it is so huge.

Looks Great! I bought myself an SB-600 about 2 days ago and its a BLAST to shoot with! Have you figured out the CLS yet?

Was the SB600 mounted in your hot shoe or off-camera?

I have an SB600, and I love it, but unfortunately my D50 doesn't do remote flash... :(

Wow, that really is a huge difference. Not completely sure why it is so huge.

The on camera flash is dead on. No real way to control it other than slapping a piece of paper of the light to somehow diffuse it in some way. A dedicated flash, will look marginally better dead on, but shines most when bounced to take away the harshness of a direct (closeup) blast to the face, without losing the "power".

Yes, but why in the 2nd photo is the flash filling out the background as well as the foreground?
It certainly can't be the strength of the flash. Can it?
I understand what you mean with diffusion, but I'm just not seeing a reason for the external flash to make such a big difference unless it was remotely triggered.

It was in the hotshoe and at a 60-degree angle. No flash adjustment, just at +/-0. Perhaps it was the angle of the wall or the proximity of the ceiling. I'm not sure, but it clearly makes a huge difference.

Yes, but why in the 2nd photo is the flash filling out the background as well as the foreground?
It certainly can't be the strength of the flash. Can it?
I understand what you mean with diffusion, but I'm just not seeing a reason for the external flash to make such a big difference unless it was remotely triggered.

Flash is being bounced, spreading the light out. Keep in mind, there is still ambient light so that is helping as well. However, the SB600 is stronger than the on-camera flash (hell an SB400 is), and at such close distances the light isn't losing much power from being bounced and spread.

I'm having fun. This is my cat, Sammie. Rarely before have I been able to capture good pictures of my cats' faces due to the sucky built-in flash.

DSC_0022.NEF.jpg

For reference - Built-in flash picture:
DSC_0017.JPG

Ok I'm on top of it now. I thought that the SB600 was being pointed directly at the subject and was wondering about the wall. Also, I think I was underestimating the distance from the table to the wall.

If he/she pointed the flash directly at the glass, the effect would probably be much worse than the on camera flash (ok maybe not, as the camera would dial down the power of the flash given its distance to the subject - but it still wouldn't look "good"). Just mounting the flash isn't enough, you still have to control it which is the entire reason to get one. On camera flash offers no control beyond strength.

Ok I'm on top of it now. I thought that the SB600 was being pointed directly at the subject and was wondering about the wall. Also, I think I was underestimating the distance from the table to the wall.

For reference, I was about 16" from the subject, and the wall is about 6-7 feet from the subject. The ceilings are 8' high. Hope that helps. :)

I was thinking that the table was maybe 1-3' away. That info definitely helps. The ceiling level also helps. Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back