The Golfer | Dalton | Senior Portrait

sscarmack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another session with Dalton, he wanted a sunset and golf mixed together.

Never played golf before, I had no idea how I was going to shoot this.

So I grabbed the Einstein, and away we went.

We took a bunch of shots, but this was the best sky imo.

It may be a little heavily processed, but I've been staring at it too long and can't tell anymore lol.

Comments welcomed.

Made up of three images.
SOOC 1 (Einstein on Dalton)
15117225905_fc89a5d203_c.jpg

SOOC 2 (Einstein on flag and cup)
15114219351_2f7f9618d6_c.jpg

SOOC 3 (Einstein on bag)
14930662767_19711629e6_c.jpg

Edit

15117218265_25c5a779d8_c.jpg

I thought about adding a ball trail towards the cup, but haven't messed with it yet.

Nikon D4
24-70 2.8 @ 24mm
1/250 f5.6 iso100

I guess when it comes to senior photos I prefer the more cliché - you know, throwing the kid in front of a moving train, that sort of thing. Say, any sharks in your area? People really like sharks..

Lol

I really like the way you've gone about lighting this, BUT... I wish there was a little light on his face, and I think too ('though most won't notice it) had you pointed the light back toward the camera to produce some shadow on the ground falling toward the camera it would have been a nice detail.

great composite and great methodology.

I just want to see the trees/poles to the left of frame be corrected for distortion.

and a very minor thing: I'd like to see a little shadow on the ground cast from the ball, flag, and bag--they all appear to be floating every so slightly.

I love the composition and lighting - but I just don't like that stance for a putt.

Like the composition and the edit.
There seems to be some severe haloing and I think a vertical crop with more room for his head would work equally well if not better.
With current framing, it almost feels like his head is hitting the margin.

G46sKK.jpg

I really like the way you've gone about lighting this, BUT... I wish there was a little light on his face, and I think too ('though most won't notice it) had you pointed the light back toward the camera to produce some shadow on the ground falling toward the camera it would have been a nice detail.
I wanted to bring my Octabox to get a more even light but it was super windy out and I didn't have anyone to help hold it. But yes I agree, more light on his face would of been perfect.

Good pointer on the shadow.

great composite and great methodology.

I just want to see the trees/poles to the left of frame be corrected for distortion.

and a very minor thing: I'd like to see a little shadow on the ground cast from the ball, flag, and bag--they all appear to be floating every so slightly.
Good catch

Two words. Damned good.
Thanks Derrel!

I love the composition and lighting - but I just don't like that stance for a putt.
Thanks, I'm not a golfer myself so I have no idea haha

I guess when it comes to senior photos I prefer the more cliché - you know, throwing the kid in front of a moving train, that sort of thing. Say, any sharks in your area? People really like sharks..

Lol
I try to be different compared to your everyday stuff. But I do like going to the tracks ;) haha

Like the composition and the edit.
There seems to be some severe haloing and I think a vertical crop with more room for his head would work equally well if not better.
With current framing, it almost feels like his head is hitting the margin.

Nice edit! I did some in portrait also. I'll be sure to post others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Awesome picture! I love golf, so I can really appreciate this picture and the work you put into it.
Being a senior "portrait", though, it would have been nice to see some facial identity.

Awesome picture! I love golf, so I can really appreciate this picture and the work you put into it.
Being a senior "portrait", though, it would have been nice to see some facial identity.

I'm making him a poster collage. So I guess it will make more sense when I'm done haha.

But this happened to be one of my favorite shots due to the sky and colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another session with Dalton, he wanted a sunset and golf mixed together.

Never played golf before, I had no idea how I was going to shoot this.

So I grabbed the Einstein, and away we went.

We took a bunch of shots, but this was the best sky imo.

It may be a little heavily processed, but I've been staring at it too long and can't tell anymore lol.

Comments welcomed.

Made up of three images.
SOOC 1 (Einstein on Dalton)
15117225905_fc89a5d203_c.jpg

SOOC 2 (Einstein on flag and cup)
15114219351_2f7f9618d6_c.jpg

SOOC 3 (Einstein on bag)
14930662767_19711629e6_c.jpg

Edit

15117218265_25c5a779d8_c.jpg

I thought about adding a ball trail towards the cup, but haven't messed with it yet.

Nikon D4
24-70 2.8 @ 24mm
1/250 f5.6 iso100

really liking the edited version, bet he's thrilled!

Its a great composite shot, I can really dig the edit. And so long as you at some point have shots of his face, I think this is fine. Seems more "candid" (though we all know better) and will be much appreciated

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4; probably while slacking off at work

Most reactions

Back