What's new

The ideal/perfect monopod - does it exist?

Overread19

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
25,507
Reaction score
5,112
Location
UK - England
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so my current monopod is not seeing much use and it not because I don't want to use one, but simply because at its shortest length its too long. If I want to crouch down to take a shot I end up having this massive leg that I either have to detach or fiddle around with the head to angle the leg out infront (at which point its not really adding much if any stability unless I can wedge it up against something).

So anyone aware of something (any price) that fits these requirements:
1) Able to hold a heavy setup - midrange body and 300mm f2.8 type weight would be ideal

2) Strong sturdy build quality (ie won't buckle or break if used for a walking stick from time to time).

3) Able to go down to a min height suitable for low level work.
 
How low do you need to go?

Some quick examples I found...
Manfrotto 695CX Carbon Fiber 5-Section Monopod - Supports 11 lbs (5kg), Folded Length 18.7" (47.5cm)
Gitzo Series 2 Traveler Monopod 6-Section, Minimum Height 36.0cm / 14.2in
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #3
In an ideal world as low as possible (extends its use for macro work if it can push down lower). At present I've got the Manfrotto MN-681B and when kneeling it puts the camera at a, for me, slightly uncomfortable height. The loss of over 20 or so cm with either of those you suggest would most likely pull the height down to a much more workable range for myself. The Gitzo (I must admit I always get a little lost with the massive range of products and lines they have!) looks especially interesting with its 25kg max load capacity .
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom