The infamous Yellow House (from the legendary Photographic Discussions thread)

Jon_Are

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is the photo of the Yellow House, the shooting of which is the subject of much discussion in the thread titled "When People Just Don't Get It" in the Photographic Discussions area of this site.

Anyway, I'd love some feedback on the image. I'm a beginner looking to learn all I can, so I'm interested in hearing anything and everything that might be of use.

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited:
... I just posted a comment on the other page, but now that I see it in larger format I have to add something. Unfortunately, the house itself is not in focus (this was not apparent on the smaller image). If you had a deeper DOF, it would have been spectacular (and I was wondering if a monochrome yellow house on a B/w image might be interesting too). I think you tried sharpening, as I see a slight white halo around the house.

Ian

Was the sky pasted in? The to pof the hill and the house look like they have a white fringe...

The boulder in the middle is in focus, so seems to be the focal point, but the yellow house seems like it should have been the focal point, and that it therefore should have been in focus... Composition-wise, I would have shot it from above the boulder, adding more sky and making the house the main focus.

Hope that helps a little!

Yeah, the sky was added in. The original was cloudless and boring. I guess that would be preferable to my amateur paste-job. Is there a way to get rid of the white fringe? I tried smudging, but found it's hard to do on a straight edge like the roof of the house.

I'm bummed out about the focus, too. Guess I should have taken more time thinking about it. :mrgreen:

Looks like I'm heading back to Nova Scotia (by myself, this time). :lmao:

Thanks, all.

Jon

Yeah, the sky was added in. The original was cloudless and boring. I guess that would be preferable to my amateur paste-job. Is there a way to get rid of the white fringe? I tried smudging, but found it's hard to do on a straight edge like the roof of the house.

Jon

You've exceeded my Photoshop expertise (not a difficult thing to do, BTW)

If you were using photoshop, using a blending mode (mukltiply maybe?) and erasing the edge of the sky with a soft brush (50% opacity) would probably work better :)

ah the yellow house! i was going to ask for the pic lol.. how could they not see the potential?! lol

If you were using photoshop, using a blending mode (mukltiply maybe?) and erasing the edge of the sky with a soft brush (50% opacity)

Any chance someone could give me a play-by-play on how to do this? I've searched, but can't seem to find this specific technique.

Thanks,

Jon

Alright, I messed around some more and here is my latest version:

I'd still appreciate assistance with this, however:
using a blending mode (mukltiply maybe?) and erasing the edge of the sky with a soft brush (50% opacity)
(I know I still have the focus issue)

Last edited:
I'll try and give a littll emore detail on what I meant :)

1. So you have your image of the yellow house (YHL) on one layer. Then I'd make a new layer on top of that and paste the sky image(SL) in it.

2. Now you need to make the sky image fit where the sky would be! There are lots of ways to do this. If your sky on the YHL is blown out you could use the magic selection tool to automatically selected it. However, the edge won't be all that great...

Eug, sorry I've got to go, but I'll finish this mini-tutorial ASAP, sorry :blushing:

Umm, if you have your original image of the Yellow House without the added sky, could you post it? then I could show you easier ;)

wow...

Can you post the original? I'm curious to see where you started.

I do agree it was a great house for shooting. The first pic isnt showing and, I too would like to see the original.

I hate to say it but that cutout is really, really, really rough.

Agreed. Is the second one horrible too?

Alright, here's the original. I'm about to scrap it and chalk it up as a learning experience (which it definitely was).

Most reactions

Back