The iPad - Just What a Photographer Wants

agompert

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.agphotoart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I don't know about you, but when I saw the new iPad I couldn't help but say I want one, now. And the price starting at $499 that doesn't sound that bad at all. Just think about it this is going to make showing off your photos even better than before.

I have an iPhone that does the same thing and it fits in my pocket! Oh, and it makes phone calls.

I don't need a $500 4x's bigger iPhone with 1/2 the functionality of an iPhone. Apple should have put a real OS on it and made it more useful. Heck, the thing can't even multi-task. 2000 called and they want their tablet back.

More like the 90's. LOL Rubbish I cannot believe it was such a media event. Its like a great big build up and hype to watch somebody fart on TV.

I have an iPhone that does the same thing and it fits in my pocket! Oh, and it makes phone calls.

I don't need a $500 4x's bigger iPhone with 1/2 the functionality of an iPhone. Apple should have put a real OS on it and made it more useful. Heck, the thing can't even multi-task. 2000 called and they want their tablet back.

I agree.... why have yet another iphone/itouch variant? Why didn't they just put Mac OS X on it? All it forces people to do is figure how to figure out how to do the same task multiple times on multiple device types; Macbook, iPhone, and now iPad.

I was really hoping for a subsized Macbook/netbook (Macbook air shrunk down). Oh well.... guess my Hackintosh will have to keep fulfilling that role.

Why would it be something a photographer wants? Display my images on a glossy device with a poor quality display compared to any decent computer monitor?

More accurately I think it's what a photographer who has too much money and nothing else to buy wants. The iPad has other cool merits, but quite frankly I see very limited use in photography. Heck at least the dedicated display units often have an internal harddisk to copy off the CF card. This thing has internal storage the size of a CF card making it utterly useless for even a simple in field check / backup job which netbooks can be rather good at.

Garbz,

I agree. While the image quality if the iPhone and the iPad (assuming it's like all other Apple devices) is amazing, you can't calibrate it. If you can't calibrate it but you work on a calibrated PC to edit your images, chances are what you see on the device will not look the way you intended it to look. For a professional trying to showcase their work, this is a pretty ugly roadblock.

I also agree it should have ran a paired down version of OSX. I don't need another iPhone, I already have one. I certainly don't need one as big as a netbook to carry around with my already rather large 17" Macbook Pro. Since it can't replace the Macbook pro and is nothing more than a glorified iPod Touch, it would get left at home. Why on earth would I add the weight of the iPad to my computer bag when it offers me nothing I don't already have? I don't need a $500 portable House MD watching tool. I already have a tv in every room I spend time in and I again already have an iPhone.

Utterly pointless device that will be useful only to techno geeks that will force themselves to find something slightly useful to do with it and kids who want to play games and look cool to their friends. For people that use such devices to make a living, it's a major letdown.

The iPad has so much potential. Give it two or three more iterations and it might be something useful.

I haven't read entirely too much about it, but I would need wifi connectivity and the ability to access my server with it. If you could use it to connect to a server and draw files and stuff from there, that would make it much more useful in my book.

The camera absence is a let down too. Being able to walk around and conference with people would just be awesome.

Well, I've been considering buying a Kindle, so I'm eager to see what it looks like IRL for reading text ...

It's a neat looking device, just not overly practical...considering the other products that are available.

But if you want something cool, that will let you browse the web, check E-mail, read e-books, play simple games etc...and impress your friends, then it's kind of neat.

The problem is that reading e-books on a backlit screen can be very tiring which is why I don't like reading on my computer and the kindle is nice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back