The Kids at Thanksgiving CC

Travel2Nowhere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
$Thanksgiving-Kids-1.jpg

So I had my Canon 5d and speedlite. Had a half hour or so with all the kids, and this is what I got.

Now I think I should have tried bouncing the light off the wall instead of the ceiling ( tried a few other shots but thought of this later ). Also should have lifted the little catch light thing on the flash.

Not really happy with the strong shadows under the chins, any other idea's folks? No I don't have a five in one reflector ( maybe XMAS :) )

Posing, tried a few different setups, but this balanced the skin tones. Also used an 812 warming filter.

Look forward to any help for the future. Thanks!

Attachments

• $Thanksgiving-Kids-1.jpg
    $Thanksgiving-Kids-1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 152
See the real bright blots on the faces?
I think this is overlit - too much light.
The real problem with this is you have two groupings that don't fit well with each other.
The girls mesh, the boys mesh, but they don't fit together as a foursome in combination.

Yeah thanks, lowered the exposure about a third stop in lightroom and looks much better. Gonna watch for that in future.

I must admit I had a hard time merging the two groups together, frankly the younger boys darker kin color would make them disappear. It's a tricky issue I have with pictures with my wife as well.

They make me smile. I'd think about the framing so you don't have extra space at the top and aren't cutting it too close at the bottom (so you don't see part of someone's fingers, etc.) - maybe frame it a little lower and not quite so tight. If you keep practicing you'll probably keep getting better and better photos, but enjoy this one - I love those faces, they look like willing subjects!

To me this is one of those photos where the emotional/sentimental merits outweigh the photographic merits. Does it look like a professional studio portrait? No. Does it look like a really well-done candid? Yeah. This is the kind of photo that you can look back on years later and it will make you smile, and in the end that's probably more important than photographic perfection.

So yeah, you could have done something better with the lighting, and chosen a different background or whatever, and all those things are good to point out and learn from, because the next time you have an opportunity like this, you'll have a better shot at nailing it. :)

It's not a "candid", FYI.

I call this an informal group portrait.

It sounds as if you don't get a chance to photograph all four children at once very often. That's no fun, but next time try some different arrangements, such as; the younger kids at the top, or whatever.

As to this one, the little white reflector that pulls out of the top of the flash is to direct more light straight on, which would have cut the heavy shadows. Ceilings are usually fine, providing they are white or nearly so. Walls can be nice as well, providing they are white or nearly so. Try using the wall behind you if it is white, and you won't be casting your own shadow toward the subjects.

BTW: you can be more ready next time. Make your own large reflector(s) from some white foam core or plastolite. These can usually be propped up on furniture, or ask someone to hold them. I have several sheets of foam core that are about 3 feet by 5 feet. They're cheap, and can be stored behind a dresser or at the back of the closet.

Thanks for the help. I was a bit at loss for what to try next time, and obviously this is personal not professional.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back