The litterature thread...

Alexandra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Guys and Gals, I need your advice. I have a pile of books I borrowed at the library and I already have ebout 5 bucks in late fees, so I'm bringin'em back soon. But the thing is that i didn't have time to read them all and i was wondering if they were worth it.
So, here're my 3 questions to start the thread:

1. Are these books worth reading?
a. Something wicked this way comes by Ray Bradbury.
b. The October Country again by Ray Bradbury. (i've read some of his short stories in the past, but not a lot.)
c. The war of worlds by H.G. Wells. (i'm curious cause i've seen the movie and I have no doubt the book is waaaaaaay better, but is it a good book in itself, without comparison with the movie?)

2. By simple curiosity, anyone here read Baricco?
Cause i really enjoyed his work...

3. Any other reading suggestions, anyone?
(oh, and don't think i'm into sci-fi. ;) I was just trying it out, and that's why i have doubts. So bring it on, whatever the genre!)

1. No idea
2. No
3. Yes, There is a polish novel (in english :)) called "Snow White and Russian Red" The book written in a very short and sometimes hard to follow style, but is a joy to read. The book is sort of dark though, a fair bit of the book is swearing, drinking, drugs, sex, etc...

Thanks Darin!
tis now right on top of my 2006 reading/watching list which so far contains... 1 item. Ok, what the heck, i'll add the enclave too ;)

Btw, are you from somewhere in europe, by any chance?

Alexandra said:
Thanks Darin!
tis now right on top of my 2006 reading/watching list which so far contains... 1 item. Ok, what the heck, i'll add the enclave too ;)

Btw, are you from somewhere in europe, by any chance?
Sweet, the enclave is a great film. No, I'm just from the US but I'm considering studying abroad.

so now Iowan guys watch stuff like the enclave and read Polish books... why, that's nice. the world is changing...
long live mindspread.

But it's a shame you had to google Brave New World ;)

1. Definitely worth reading all three.

If you want to read the Classics then I would suggest this site. It has some terrific books and they are all freely downloadable. I use it to put books onto my PDA so I always have something to read.
http://www.gutenberg.org/
It is a worthy project.

I can't comment on those books.

My favourite book and one I think you should read is "To Kill a Mockingbird" if you haven't already. It's amazing.

Anything by Ray bradbury is probably good...I've read two of his novels already, and they are fantastic.

If you don't mind gory books, I'd like to recommend Chuck Palahniuk. (Fight Club, Lullaby, etc.)

Of course, what would a book post by Joe be without some mention of Orwell's 1984.

Sci-Fi: before you completely discount it, check out Frank Herbert's Dune chronicles. amazing stuff there.

Alexandra said:
so now Iowan guys watch stuff like the enclave and read Polish books... why, that's nice. the world is changing...
long live mindspread.

But it's a shame you had to google Brave New World ;)

And Texans read books like that too, can you believe it!?!

I read "A Brave New World" in high school. Aldous Huxley really made an impression on me. I actually have that book still, maybe I should read it again.

Right now I'm in the middle of Jane Austen's books. Mostly b/c the movie "Pride and Predjudice" just came out. Thought I'd freshen up a bit before I went to see it. LOL

clarinetJWD said:
Of course, what would a book post by Joe be without some mention of Orwell's 1984.
I'm reading it right now :D

ShutteredEye said:
I read "A Brave New World" in high school. Aldous Huxley really made an impression on me. I actually have that book still, maybe I should read it again.
The first time I read it was a couple weeks before a pacific march i was really excited about cause I was all into the "Let's make our world a better and happier place" idea, so on the moment it killed my joy a bit... but then I was really glad i read it cause I understood lots of things and it got me thinking about a lot of ideas i never thought about before. and I guess it just opened my mind a lot, too.
Reading it over is a pleasure every time.
I'm glad to see i'm not the only fan, here! :D
Darin, hope to see you in the club soon! we have weekly "lectures and studies" :sexywink:
(which means "bring the vinyl suit")

Most reactions

New Topics

Back