The mental health benefits of photography

All good points! Getting out of the house and exploring local parks or trails to take photos is good exercise and good for the soul. My husband and I were talking about that a month ago that there are many places we would not have visited if not for me wanting to take photos. My video hobby sparked us taking private excursions in Mexico. Otherwise we would be in a chair all week, but at the beach that is ok :)

#10 in the article's photo has signs from the Don't Give Up Sign Movement. I bought their wrist bands and have been giving out to friends and my instacart shoppers.

For me it is one word: intentionality. It makes me look at the world intentionally and see what I would have overlooked.

Also, I see a lot of crossover with pilots. I think many photographers share these characteristics with pilots. For me it is all three.

Art - like photographers pilots just like the view out the window and creative ways to experience it

Science/Engineering - like photographers pilots like to understand how complicated stuff works

Athletics - some pilots like the physical aspect of controlling the machine and many photographers crave the challenge of an adventure

I sent this to my wife... she replied back, you better clean the garage, put up all the outdoor furniture, clean your pull barn, powerwash the side of the house, and clean up the flower beds this weekend or you get a real nice meaning of number 10. I responded, get a flippin job and we'll talk about it....

I'm currently reading Rick Sammon's book "Photo Therapy" and it's very much along the same lines--how art (and specifically photography) enriches us and mentally heals us.

And then there's dark side no one mentions.:allteeth:
menta.jpg

View attachment 200603

I know this was meant in jest but it is so true of some. I have a friend who is such a perfectionist that she agonizes for hours over getting the shot exactly right. It doesn’t seem relaxing for her but I know she loves it. As someone who can be very self critical, I make it a point to keep my photography stress free.

View attachment 200603

I know this was meant in jest but it is so true of some. I have a friend who is such a perfectionist that she agonizes for hours over getting the shot exactly right. It doesn’t seem relaxing for her but I know she loves it. As someone who can be very self critical, I make it a point to keep my photography stress free.

This. While I get frustrated sometimes (especially doing astrophotography...don’t get me started), even the most annoying of obstacles/failures I’m able to shake off quickly and still come away with an enjoyable experience 95% of the time.

I know this was meant in jest but it is so true of some

I think we've all experienced a few "crazy" moments in our photography journey. For me it's that point where the vision in my head won't appear in the camera. Photography is one of those deceptively simple hobbies. I might plan and wait for the perfect sunrise, only to be outdone by a nonphotographer with a cell phone who just grabs a random shot on the way got work.

Let's not forget the dreaded G.A.S. that afflicts us all. We have to be just a tad "crazy" at times, to willingly fork over thousands of dollars on gear, in our quest to be better at a hobby, only to find out that to be even better we need to spend more. The good thing about G.A.S. is once you spend the first dollars to appease it, future spending comes easier without the need to justify it.

I've found myself fighting back the demons that seek to take the fun out of the hobby on more than one occasion over the years, but I keep doing it because every now and then I get that one perfect shot, where vision and reality come together, that is my moment of imperturbability.

I have a friend who is such a perfectionist that she agonizes for hours over getting the shot exactly right. It doesn’t seem relaxing for her but I know she loves it.

I never agonize over perfection while taking a shot. I stay in the moment, keep moving and looking and experimenting .

I do find that sometimes when reviewing shots later I have a lot of "if I had just" revelations.

If I had just squatted down and shot up.

If I had just composed the shot like so.

If I had just used a different f stop.

If I had just had the camera set properly beforehand.

If I had just....

But in between all of those "if I had justs" are a few shots that make it all worth it.

PHOTOGRAPHY KEEPS THE BRAIN IN GREAT SHAPE
I liked this topic in the link she shared.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back