The minimum equipment list

I think business is such a loaded word. So many people say they intend on starting a business and really mean they are going to try and get a few portrait clients and mabye a wedding or 2. When you say you want to start a "business" it generally means you mean to try and make your livelyhood from this venture. I think for anyone to help you properly you need to define exactly what you mean by "business" and then people can help you better. By the way in my personal opinion you are severly under-equipped for any kind of professional photography venture and unless you intend on charging very low rates you would be doing any potential client a disservice. If you look at my sig you will see a decent start for what you need but it is definately still not exactly enough.

Good point!

I do not mean this in the sense that I'm going to make my livelihood from this. It would be an utter impossibility to make from photography what I do from my full time job so I've no intent to quit my day job.

What I do mean is continuing to have fun with it, perhaps sell photos here and there - no specific intention to do "assignments" for clients (as yet) but perhaps more to sell what I enjoy taking already, anyway - which to date are mostly my photos from my many travels.

I also understand that there is a tax writeoff for business startups - I am meeting with my accountant next week and if I can find a legit way to start a business and write off various business related items, I plan to do so. This idea has been kicking around in my head for a few years, and I decided why not just act on it instead of thinking about it - if it takes a long time to "get to where I want to be" that is fine - I've got plenty of time and I don't need the money. And I know I can learn a lot in the process and have fun doing it.

Didn't see this mentioned but I would suggest that you try this first.

Without actually having clients put yourself on a schedule and go shoot 50 photos with what gear you have. Give yourself 24 hours to shoot, post process and print (you will need a photo printer) and package and deliver 20 of the photos you have shot. The 20 are the best out of the 50. This will give you an idea of the constraints of pro photography and the pressure and may take some of the gilding off the lily, so to speak. OR, it may bring out that part of yourself that loves the challenge and the pressure.

It's a great drill and can actually make you a better photographer. When shooting 50 photos in a day ( that's a conservative number of photos) one tends to stop over thinking and start to just react to a scenario. This can be done in your home town somewhere close by. It's just a learning experience.

I don't have a marketing plan, and I surely need to learn how to use photoshop and also just become more proficient as a photographer, period.

You can work on those issues without spending any money. :)

Definitely you're going to need coverage from somewhere in the mid 20mm range to somewhere around 200mm, just as a general rule. Spring for the fastest glass you can afford.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back