The most terrifying words a photographer can hear...

I just tell people that I shoot birds in flight.

If you're willing to toss the bride through the air.....I'm willing to take her photo.

I did the same thing. And made the bride hold an owl hand puppet.

Your going to love it, and even more if you can get one your unreliable sources to be your assistant.

First, you're wrong....the worst words a photographer could hear are...."I just accidentally dropped your camera down the outhouse seat and it sank out of sight....sorry!"

Second, like any good wedding photographer....
--set expectations upfront
--get examples of what they want (both in terms of specific shots and also style or look/feel). Are they looking for a story (start to finish), a traditional, an artistic, or a romantic set of results?
--put together a shot list.
--backup your gear. Have extra SD cards, extra battery, extra speed light, extra body.
--visit the site ahead of time. Chex out the lighting. Figure out where you need to stand and when.

Third, if you really, truly, absolutely want to get out of this assignment, then you tell them the truth. You say "well, I'm willing to do this but I was so looking forward to attending the wedding and now I can't." They'll look puzzled and then you explain (honestly): "if you ask me to shoot the wedding, you're telling me I can't participate. I can't give toasts, I can't join the drinking, I can't throw the rice, I can't listen to the ceremony, I can't listen to the musicians, I can't hug family members, I can't enjoy the moment. I'll be working. I'll be focused totally on details like ISO and exposure compensation and depth-of-field, and keeping my lens clean, and getting all of the wedding party lined up and in sequence and yelling at people who wander off to hug the groom or grab a drink. I'll need to be keeping track of everyone I've taken photos of (and people I haven't). If I'm photographing the wedding, then I'm not participating in the wedding, I can't be a family member. For that time, I need to be a professional willing and ignore all of the sentiment and joy and special moments, be willing to order my elders around, walk in front of people viewing the ceremony. I'd really like to be there for the wedding but if you insist I won't--I'll just photograph it."

Joe, I totally understand where you're coming from. And I don't disagree, just having a little fun with you...
...I can't give toasts, I can't join the drinking, I can't throw the rice, I can't listen to the ceremony, I can't listen to the musicians, I can't hug family members...
...and the problem is?

Gotta remember: many of us photographers grew up introverted and on the *right* side of the camera.

So I need you to take my wedding photos.......

I mean its not AS bad as far as I can tell (related to me second hand by two very unreliable sources so I've not actually heard this news as yet it seems or something - I don't know women* go nuts around weddings it seems) as they've not ask for THE**** photos just SOME photos from the afterparty and something (I think - as mentioned the info is highly unreliable).

I mean its not like taking my camera is a BAD thing and having an official excuse might give me something to do other than making small talk to the handful of people I know at the wedding (and endless small talk to those I don't know) and might even get me out of being tormented about dancing** by random family members and stuff.

Though sadly I don't think I can use it as a "Go get more gear" excuse. I mean I need fullframe don't I - I've only got a 7D! I don't even own any primes (well barring my 35mm and 70mm and 65mm macro lenses but I don't think they count do they).....
Will I be allowed my HUGE ITS MASSIVE 70-200mm f2.8? Do you think they'll line up behind bars and wire cages at suitable distances to allow me to get good photos? Cause I can do lemur portraits in the zoo - that's doable with a 70-200mm (or a 120-300mm but that's too heavy after a day of WEDDING).

So that means 24-70mm f2.8 Tamron plus 7D plus maybe my flash

Wait will I be allowed to use the diffuser or will I have to confuse them by pointing it backwards?
WAIT I don't want to have to attend all those pre-wedding things -- does this mean I have too?

GAH! FAMILY.......

*ducks and covers
** they call it dancing; I think its more of an embarrassed/drunken shuffle once you're past 15 years old - unless you take lessons
**** GAH this means I'm not getting paid am I!
Does that mean that you are not coming here for vacation during that time frame?? All the arrangements have been made at quite and expense I might add. This has been in the planning for ages you know.

Excuse provided, it's up to you to use it.

Most reactions

Back