The National Geographic Society picked up my photo

Super sweet! Certainly a worthy image.

The not getting paid thing sucks. I would think NG to be a little better than that.

That is an amazing shot! Congrats on the NG pick up for sure, that's really awesome!

Gratz.

Paid in ZOMG !!! im in nat geo or paid in cash ?

i think id take the i got featured in nat geo tbh

Thanks again everybody!!

But putting your name should be good enough. Maybe readers will go to your website and buy prints. You better have those photos ready when they publish it.
I've noticed an increase in traffic to my site from Google searches of my name these last two days. I can only assume that those are people who saw the photo on NatGeo's site and were intrigued enough to want to see more. No print requests from them, though... but I sold a bunch of prints at work today thanks to this whole aurora thing :)

The not getting paid thing sucks. I would think NG to be a little better than that.
I think that photography becoming accessible to virtually anyone (like me) has changed the rules of the photography game. This is one of the consequences. NatGeo is at least respectful enough to ask for permission.

Gratz.

Paid in ZOMG !!! im in nat geo or paid in cash ?

i think id take the i got featured in nat geo tbh
My choice as well :)

Last edited:
That is a beautiful image and congratulations are well-deserved! Would you mind posting some others from the shoot? I love aurora photographs. I was in Alaska last June and was upset by the 24 hours of light -- I would have loved to see some aurora. There was a guy in the Anchorage Saturday Market who was showing off his images as I drooled on them.

Congrats!

The exposure in a national publication like NatGeo is worth its weight in gold. Sometimes the free marketing is better than a few coins in your pocket.

I would have traded a subscription for the photo

:thumbup::thumbup:

Congrats man!!! Amazing shot!! I hope this opens a lot of doors for ya!!

That is a beautiful image and congratulations are well-deserved! Would you mind posting some others from the shoot? I love aurora photographs. I was in Alaska last June and was upset by the 24 hours of light -- I would have loved to see some aurora. There was a guy in the Anchorage Saturday Market who was showing off his images as I drooled on them.
Thanks, Ian. There's only the two images I posted (this and the other thread), plus this "outtake":

p383028319-4.jpg

Up until we found the aurora (at about 1:00am), it hadn't really been a fruitful night of photography. We had almost lost all hope, we were tired and yawning and already heading back to the city... and only then the northern lights showed up. We snapped a few photos to make sure we had proof we saw it, then went back to Winnipeg. So... a couple of photos is all I have :)

Congrats!

The exposure in a national publication like NatGeo is worth its weight in gold. Sometimes the free marketing is better than a few coins in your pocket.
Thanks much! Those are my thoughts exactly, not just about the marketing part but also the "I feel good about my photo, someone in frigging National Geographic liked it!" part too :)

I would be overjoyed to have that "outtake" in my files! Outstanding image as well!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back