The new Gerber spokesbaby??

NateS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking for a general critique on this photo of a baby.

1/60, f1.8, ISO 1250
2007-12-20_1.jpg

Stop reading here if you don't want to read uncomplimentary stuff about this picture of your son that follows.
The problem with asking family and friends about pictures of your child is that they are probably not photographers and probably do have emotional ties to the child.

This may be a cute baby but it doesn't come across in this picture. The overhead light puts his eyes and the lower part of the face in pretty dark shadow. The entire image is way too soft and my guess is that even in the original image there was little detail.

Telling everyone that this is your son, you think he may be the next Gerber baby and that the rest of your family loves the picture will certainly limit your chances of getting honest responses.

Lew

Stop reading here if you don't want to read uncomplimentary stuff about this picture of your son that follows.
The problem with asking family and friends about pictures of your child is that they are probably not photographers and probably do have emotional ties to the child.

This is obviously the reason that I"m getting critique here. I can't get better when all that people say is "it looks great"

This may be a cute baby but it doesn't come across in this picture. The overhead light puts his eyes and the lower part of the face in pretty dark shadow. The entire image is way too soft and my guess is that even in the original image there was little detail.

Telling everyone that this is your son, you think he may be the next Gerber baby and that the rest of your family loves the picture will certainly limit your chances of getting honest responses.

Lew

Okay, so I read the forum rules and no that I"m going to get honest opinions in here. Isn't that what the general critique forum is for? I'm learning and that's what this is about, so in this section I should get honest critiques regardless.

The gerber baby comment was a joke because his expression is almost identical to the gerber baby. Sorry that you took it so literally.

Do you think the softness had anything to do with the high ISO? The 50mm f1.8 is usually really sharp for me, but I see what you are saying about it being soft....just wondering what may have been the cause.

Edited 1st post to get a better critique. For all you literalists, the title was a joke....I didn't expect the picture to actually be the next gerber baby.

High ISO for sure, possible camera movement (1/60 but closeup), perhaps missed focus (the DOF is not more than 2 inches at that aperture and distance). If image was underexposed and jacked up in PP, that can make for lots of noise.

People often hesitate to be honest when they know the OP has an emotional tie to the picture.

Understandable about the honest opinion.

The image was exposed properly in the color version, just seemd kind of dark once converted to B&W for some reason. Comparing the two now, I do see some loss in detail in the B&W version, but yeah, both seem soft.

I think maybe getting the focus right at f1.8 is harder than I thought. I'll have to try these types with my new SB-600. That should help me see if it's camera shake or just missed focus.

Thanks for the tips though. I've always been afraid of shooting high ISO and now I see why.

very cute expression but the image is far too soft almost feels blurred from an unsteady hand

It's a really cute expression! The real tragedy here though is that is not in focus. I'm not sure if it was the iso or camera shake or what, but it's just way soft. Nothing is truly in focus.
HOWEVER, I think your strong point here was catching that expression. Keep at it.

Most reactions

Back