The "new" music building at the local college ...

xj0hnx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I find it really annoying that they build this thing asymmetrically, but what'cha gonna do? So this is the add-on behind the music building at the college, they have added a lot of murals, and new artistic buildings, it's a fun place to shot.

$Music2.jpg

That's pretty cool.

I'm torn because I like the fact that I can read "music" yet I almost want wider.

I like it though.

That's part of what annoyed me about it too I wanted to get the entire building, but the way it's built, and the signage is "centered" (or not centered as the case may be) it would have looked off kilter.

I like it, but wish it was a touch wider and the sky wasn't messed up (the clouds look jittery and remind me of a skipping CD)..

Best,
Jake

I fixed the distortion ever so slightly, otherwise you have to crop out more of the building. Then made JUST the building have more structure, and reduced the noise in the sky. I did bring it in ACR, but just barely moved some sliders for contrast and such.

I like it, but wish it was a touch wider and the sky wasn't messed up (the clouds look jittery and remind me of a skipping CD)..

Best,
Jake

I got one from another angle that fits that bill ...

$Music Three_.jpg

Didn't have the heart too yell at my buddy to get of the shots.

Parker, I like your edit, the contrast is nice. I didn't crop it because of the distortion though, I cropped it because they put the signage more to one side, and a door on one side, so it looks real asymmetrical and it bothered me.

Here's one of the originals ...

$music original.jpg

Sort of, I borrowed from you and pulled some distortion out.

Last edited:
I was saying if I fix the distortion any more, then the image WOULD need to be cropped more.

The glass is straight across in real life right? I am genuinely asking, since I have never been there.

No, there is a slight curve to the whole building, not as bad, but like the other angle I posted, my first picture inverts the curve.

Cool, I like the straight on with the distortion fixed, but that could be just me.

Nice subject though, it would be awesome to get an amazing sky/sunset or something.

Cool, I like the straight on with the distortion fixed, but that could be just me.

Nice subject though, it would be awesome to get an amazing sky/sunset or something.

We were actually had to leave right as the sun starting going down, but it comes down just to the left of the building from that spot, so I'll be going back soon. I am betting there are some awesome colors coming through that glass.

I don't find either angle very compelling. The distortion in the side shot is too much and makes for a weird looking building. The second angle is better but still not very flattering.

I would suggest going for more of a 3/4 angle on the side so and place the corner of the building vertical with the right 3rd of the frame.

The problem with buildings an wide angles is that buildings have straight and level lines that are key to the design. The distortion affects that and makes the building look completely different thus defeating the original design.

That would also present a challenge with this building as the actual building behind this, is only as wide as the glass on top, the sides with the stairs are there to look pretty, and ...hold up the stairs.

Most reactions

Back