The next generation will never see it

I personally think that there are no hobbies that won't be affected by the warming of the globe, we'll lose a lot of great animals, interesting and beautiful plant speciments that we take for granted right now. I mean what if instead of of a gorrila you could have taken a picture of a real life Brontosaurus? Wouldn't that be an awesome thing? Future generations are going to say the same thing about gorillas: "wouldn't it be awesome if we could take a picture of a gorilla?" It affects photography a big deal.

The difficulty being that until A is proven B becomes all conjecture and wild theory at best, hence the huge problem with this entire line of discussion in that many do not share your apparent view that A is a proven fact - not even remotely close. Unfortunately that entire line of discussion jumps instantly and irrevocably into the arena of politics, which frankly has no place here.

So you'll forgive me but I chose to bow out now. As an ex-boxer I've already had every knuckle on both hands broken, some several times - so I'll just take a big pass on the whole thing.

Ironic though, that the reason I can't take a picture of the dinosaur in the first place was thanks to global cooling. Got a good chuckle out of that one.

Enjoy folks. Lol
I think you are right, this is gonna lead to unwanted political discussion i really didn't set out to have. And as a side note: global warming is not what you think it is. The name is what confuses most people.

Lol.. well if you really feel the need to educate me on the subject feel free to PM me, I think you'll be a little surprised by the results. But with that I will bid the public discussion adieu.

The difficulty being that until A is proven B becomes all conjecture and wild theory at best, hence the huge problem with this entire line of discussion in that many do not share your apparent view that A is a proven fact - not even remotely close. Unfortunately that entire line of discussion jumps instantly and irrevocably into the arena of politics, which frankly has no place here.

So you'll forgive me but I chose to bow out now. As an ex-boxer I've already had every knuckle on both hands broken, some several times - so I'll just take a big pass on the whole thing.

Ironic though, that the reason I can't take a picture of the dinosaur in the first place was thanks to global cooling. Got a good chuckle out of that one.

Enjoy folks. Lol
I think you are right, this is gonna lead to unwanted political discussion i really didn't set out to have. And as a side note: global warming is not what you think it is. The name is what confuses most people.
no its climate change which evitably leads to global cooling.
i need to pick myself up a warmer llbean jacket.. i wonder how cold a camera can get... hmmm.
lots more photos of snow...
wont have to worry about all those tree leafs in the way anymore.
Good time to touch up on the winter photography skills and buy some snow shoes.
polar bears might be happy as a big in **** when they move in to florida.
all in how you see it.
i feel bad for all those warm weather bugs (not) perhaps i should get into macro and shoot bugs before they start going extinct.
might as well leave the exposure bumped up for all that reflective ice and snow. Perhaps nikon will come out with a camera with built in hand warming?
wont have to pick up the shutter speed anymore to freeze those rivers and waterfalls in motion.. look at all the bright sides. winter olympics photographs year round!!
I'm not sure what you want to discuss? You say that it's out of our hands and i disagree, the discussion ends there really. There is no point in any further discussion.

tumblr_m59wbf4MLD1ru94ijo1_500.gif

For the first 4 billion years or so of Earths history the only 'life' was single cell organisms.
Multi-cellular life first appeared about 600 million years ago.

99.9 % of all the species that have ever lived on Earth are gone. Species extinction is the rule, not an exception.

The average 'life' of a species on Earth is about 4,000,000 years. That's about how long humans have now been around.

The dinosaurs were very successful and had a 160,000,000 year rein, but have been gone now for about 65,000,000 years which is when the last mass extinction occurred (K–Pg event).
There is evidence, a thin layer of sediment rich in Iridium - an element rare on Earth but common in asteroids, a 6 mile wide asteroid or comet impacted Earth just off the Yucatan Penisula of Mexico.
The impact crater is now under water but is about 115 mi wide and back when it was made would have been 30 or so miles deep,

Prior to that there were mass extinctions 205,000,000, 251,000,000, 354,000,000, and 434,000,000 years ago.

For the first 4 billion years or so of Earths history the only 'life' was single cell organisms.

99.9 % of all the species that have ever lived on Earth are gone. Species extinction is the rule, not an exception.

The average 'life' of a species on Earth is about 4,000,000 years. That's about how long humans have now been around.

The dinosaurs were very successful and had a 160,000,000 year rein, but have been gone now for about 65,000,000 years which is when the last mass extinction occurred (K–Pg event).
There is evidence, a thin layer of sediment rich in Iridium - an element rare on Earth but common in asteroids, a 6 mile wide asteroid or comet impacted Earth just off the Yucatan Penisula of Mexico.
The impact crater is now under water but is about 115 mi wide and back when it was made would have been 30 or so miles deep,

Prior to that there were mass extinctions 205,000,000, 251,000,000, 354,000,000, and 434,000,000 years ago.

I'm not sure what this has to do with man made disasters? Just because something is the norm in nature doesn't mean we cannot change that. I mean before modern technology, people who were born with some form of mental of physical anomaly didn't make it or rarely made it to adulthood and even then died very young, some were even abandoned as babies by their mothers. And lets talk about diseases: why do we try to cure smallpox? Why not just let nature do whatever it wanted? Why do you put a cast on your leg when it breaks? Why not let your leg be disfigured? We are masters of our planets fate now, and we can decide if we want to preserve as much as we want or we can decide to keep ignoring the problems that will eventually come back to bite us.

Plenty of dinosaurs left. We just call them birds. After trying all the niches, they found one that really worked for them.

yeah umm. On topic. Take lots of photos.....
Of organisms.

Or of organisms having orgasms.

Or of organic organisms originating orgasms.

I'm not sure what this has to do with man made disasters? Just because something is the norm in nature doesn't mean we cannot change that. I mean before modern technology, people who were born with some form of mental of physical anomaly didn't make it or rarely made it to adulthood and even then died very young, some were even abandoned as babies by their mothers. And lets talk about diseases: why do we try to cure smallpox? Why not just let nature do whatever it wanted? Why do you put a cast on your leg when it breaks? Why not let your leg be disfigured? We are masters of our planets fate now, and we can decide if we want to preserve as much as we want or we can decide to keep ignoring the problems that will eventually come back to bite us.
we do these things because we chose not to lose our humanity and put our humanity ahead of the betterment of our species. we actually go against nature, and poison our own gene pool. which will inevitably aid in our own species extinction some day. Even darwin said that by nature, the less adaptable or weaker should die. so that the strong may carry on and the species will adapt. But he also said for us to allow that with us, we risk our humanity. Or something to that effect.
in the meantime, we should be taking lots of photos..

I find your views increasingly objectionable. The way i understand your views so far is that: we are helpless and unable to change the course of our destiny. First with global warming and now with evolution. My response to you is: we have come a long way since the 19th century.

Last edited:
Then you should not have started a thread based on such a controversial issue if you can't tolerate other peoples views.

Humans are woefully inept at being able to change anything except their technology.

Human destiny is to become extinct.

Last edited:
Then you should not have started a thread based on such a controversial issue if you can't tolerate other peoples views.

Humans are woefully inept at being able to change anything except their technology.

Just because you have the freedom to say what you like doesn't mean you are protected against criticism. I mean how can you have a discussion if you've already thrown in the towel right out of the gate? How am i supposed to have a discussion with you? Do we discuss the manor in which the earth will go sterile? You've started from zero and now you've got nowhere to go, i mean yeah, we are doomed, that's great moving on. Except that i have a far brighter future in mind where we take the raigns and steer the course of the world into a better future for everyone, we can keep doing it with small to moderate incremental changes over time and people will learn to grow to their new lifestyle. Like we did with banning free plastic bags or now that everyone has to recycle, we can do so much more.

I'm not sure what you want to discuss? You say that it's out of our hands and i disagree, the discussion ends there really. There is no point in any further discussion.

I find your views increasingly objectionable. The way i understand your views so far is that: we are helpless and unable to change the course of our destiny. First with global warming and now with evolution. My response to you is: we have come a long way since the 19th century.

Just because you have the freedom to say what you like doesn't mean you are protected against criticism. I mean how can you have a discussion if you've already thrown in the towel right out of the gate? How am i supposed to have a discussion with you? Do we discuss the manor in which the earth will go sterile? You've started from zero and now you've got nowhere to go, i mean yeah, we are doomed, that's great moving on. Except that i have a far brighter future in mind where we take the raigns and steer the course of the world into a better future for everyone, we can keep doing it with small to moderate incremental changes over time and people will learn to grow to their new lifestyle. Like we did with banning free plastic bags or now that everyone has to recycle, we can do so much more.

Do you even SEE how contradictory your own statements are? You start a politically-charged, drama-magnet thread for "discussion," then you tell one person you disagree with them and that's it, the discussion ends there, no point in further discussion. You tell another person--or maybe all the other posters in general, since it's not addressed to anyone--that their views are actually objectionable to you, even though you INVITED different viewpoints by starting such a thread, and then to top it off you turn right around and tell KmH that he's not protected against criticism for HIS points of view, even though YOU seem to be the one offended by the fact that others don't agree with your POV.
Not to mention the fact that you STARTED this thread with "The next generation will never see it," talking about things we should photograph because they'll be gone soon, and yet now you seem to have the position that it will all change, that human nature will somehow magically change over the next few decades, when it hasn't much changed in the thousands of years we've had thus far.

The whole conversation is like falling down the Rabbit Hole and having a debate with the Mad Hatter.

For the record, by the way: Outside your little world of Belgium, plastic bags are still being used in massive numbers. Relatively few places in America have enforced recycling programs. Americans probably--no, definitely--ARE the worst offenders, but certainly not the only ones.
One site says Americans used about 50 billion water bottles last year. We recycle, on average, just about 23% of those.
The little coffee pods for Keurig and other one-cup coffee makers are also a huge problem, as are aluminum cans, styrofoam cups, and on and on and on.

I believe we may make a little progress, but trying to re-educate and re-train some 7 billion people to be better stewards of this earth is a task I just don't think humans are up to.

A metaphor I like is say me, Hamlet, KmH and Robbins are the the top of a hill. At the top of this hill is a semi truck with the brakes off and in neutral. Now odds are the 4 of us could get this thing rolling down hill. Not turning around and asking the 4 of use to stop it is a whole different story.

Apply that as you will.

Do you even SEE how contradictory your own statements are? You start a politically-charged, drama-magnet thread for "discussion," then you tell one person you disagree with them and that's it, the discussion ends there, no point in further discussion. You tell another person--or maybe all the other posters in general, since it's not addressed to anyone--that their views are actually objectionable to you, even though you INVITED different viewpoints by starting such a thread, and then to top it off you turn right around and tell KmH that he's not protected against criticism for HIS points of view, even though YOU seem to be the one offended by the fact that others don't agree with your POV.
Not to mention the fact that you STARTED this thread with "The next generation will never see it," talking about things we should photograph because they'll be gone soon, and yet now you seem to have the position that it will all change, that human nature will somehow magically change over the next few decades, when it hasn't much changed in the thousands of years we've had thus far.

The whole conversation is like falling down the Rabbit Hole and having a debate with the Mad Hatter.

This type of non-discourse is completely foreign to me. But let me clarify: I asked how it makes people feel that many species will die out because of us, then i get a cold response of: "well that's how its always been and we can't change anything about it" So my response to that is that that view is nonsense, and i expect people to point out why it isn't nonsense. And the answer that its always been this way isn't a good enough answer. This is what a healthy debate is about, we challenge each others views so we can come to a better understand of what be believe. And again it may be that my culture is different from your, and we do things different here, it may just be my cultural ignorance.

For the record, by the way: Outside your little world of Belgium, plastic bags are still being used in massive numbers. Relatively few places in America have enforced recycling programs. Americans probably--no, definitely--ARE the worst offenders, but certainly not the only ones.
One site says Americans used about 50 billion water bottles last year. We recycle, on average, just about 23% of those.
The little coffee pods for Keurig and other one-cup coffee makers are also a huge problem, as are aluminum cans, styrofoam cups, and on and on and on.

I believe we may make a little progress, but trying to re-educate and re-train some 7 billion people to be better stewards of this earth is a task I just don't think humans are up to.
That is a fair criticism. It may not be possible to persuade all of our brothers and sisters to see reason and to preserve life, but we can try to convince as many as we can, because while we don't know where we are headed in the future, this fatalistic attitude of "it is hopeless" won't help anyone. And i'm not even saying that that is necessarily the wrong position to take (though i have a strong aversion to it), i just think that it is not a productive way to spend your time on a sinking ship, you try to save as much as you can.

I think it is best to leave this discussion for another venue. My main reason is really concern for the well being of animals, i just wanted to get a feel if anyone here cares about the things we photograph and take for granted everyday, that's all really.

Most reactions

Back