LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Folks:

Here's what I think could become something so far unheard of, something totally novel, something grand, enormous, memorable, a milestone in the history of TPF.

The biggest, longest, most international meet-up TPF has ever seen.

The North Germany meet-up in May 2008.

Right.
Here's what I am dreaming of - after I had said at our UK meet-up last weekend in London that I'd now been out to three TPF meet-ups within a year, two of which were in the UK and one in the USA and it was time "the world" came my way.

I am thinking of organising a week-long meet up right here were I live, most likely in May 2008, not only for the active TPF members but also for their entire families, which could include the following:

A trip into Hamburg including a boat cruise round Hamburg Port and - I hope this is possible - also into the canals and onto Alster and up through areas and parts of Hamburg that you'd otherwise not see (It might need to be split into two tours though, I'll have to find out). I am dreaming of chartering a boat for the group only, with food and drink on board and - if that is possible, but why should it not be? - an English speaking guide to show us all that is important.

We might feel like/have to take a second trip into Hamburg for more sights to see and more places to enjoy. There are plenty (see also their_official_site for a first impression).

A trip to Bremen with its old Town Hall (we could get a guided tour through the inside, preferably in English), market square. the little statue of the Town Musicians of Bremen (fairy tale characters), Cathedral (including the mummies in the mummie cellar), Bottcherstraße and Schnoor, possibly with a meal for all in the Ratskeller underneath the Town Hall (see also their_official_site for a first impression).

A trip to Lüneburg and walk around (possibly setting out early, and including a large breakfast there for all - my friend says they have lovely breakfast places there) ... it is a very old town with some very old houses (see their_official_site for a first impression) and possibly a tour round Lüneburg Heath in a hired horse-drawn cart, food and drinks included (see this_site as just an example of what those carts look like).

Then I am also thinking of organising some sort of 2-day trip to Berlin within this week ... I know of one who has organised a bus trip plus one over-night stay for only 98 Euro per person (if there are at least 28 persons taking part) --- could ask him how he could get all this (several meals included and a guided tour round Berlin) for this price.

The more I think of it, the more I come to the conclusion that with all this, your one week would be almost up, and you would still not have seen anything around here. An excursion to the swimming pool in Rotenburg (where Sabine spends most of her life) could be fun, too (see this - and if you move the mouse over all the links under the words "Hallenbereich" and "Freibad", the photos will change and give you more insight).

Or a walk round the "Landpark Lauenbrück" (part of my village - no working internet site up as yet), or a trip to the Amusement Park in Soltau (see here ), or a trip to Hagenbecks Tierpark in Hamburg (see here ) ... but I am also thinking of maybe offering two programmes, one for families, one for photographers, in case you feel your kids might much prefer something less boring than trudging round places and looking at things.
One "must" for all would actually also be a tour from my place to either Scheeßel or even Rotenburg in canoes (not really canoes, larger than those, see here, only in German, though). That offers lovely views and is good fun, we could bring food and drink and have a big picnic on the way somewhere... the possibilities are endless.

As for accomodation, there are a good number of possibilities and all price categories.
For those who would need to travel really cheap, I am sure, absolutely CONVINCED, I'd find private and free accomodation in a family; several of my friends from choir would - so I think - quite happily open their homes for a guest from wherever, who would want to come to the "Corinna Strikes Back"-meet-up ;).
There is a camp site in my place here, so if you were to come with a tent, you could camp out there (more info here but in German only).
I might go ask if there's the chance to individually book holiday homes in Eurostrand in Fintel (see here , also only in German, though) where groups of up to 10 persons could share a house.
And for those who would want to reside in luxury, there is always the chance to live in "Stemmer Landkrug" - and prices of 45 Euro pppn in a single room are not too high, actually, are they? Check out their_German_site (sorry) for more.

For those who would need to fly in and would only come to the meet-up, check out airfare to these three airports: Hamburg, Bremen or Hanover.
Cheap flights (by Ryanair) come into Hamburg-Lübeck, which is a 2-hour drive from where we live (and where you would preferably stay) ... it is about a 1 hour drive from both Bremen and Hamburg Airports and 1 hour 20 minutes from Hanover, if traffic permits. I would come collect you or see to it someone else is there to collect you.
(Others might consider combining the meet-up week with another one or even two weeks in Germany and might arrive somewhere south to either see places they once lived in or visit areas in the south [Bavaria and Munich, Schloss Neuschwanstein etc., Heidelberg in Baden-Württemberg etc.] and only then come up north for the meet-up, maybe?)

My place has a train station, too, you would either get here by changing trains in Bremen, or in Hamburg.

What do you all think?
Could this come about?

wow, you really put some time and thought in this :thumbup: :)
I really havent got a clue yet if i can come. Really hope i can, since i missed the last meet-up too.

Wow, I'd totally love to come. I'm always snowed under with exams in May though which may be a problem as its my finals this year.

Its always possible though... just have to see how it all pans out...

Speaking of Germany, I'm going on a 10 day study tour from Basel in Switz up into Berlin in October...can't wait.

So yeh... sounds fabuloso... I wish I could say yeh for sure... if only it were in the summertime!

We will absolutlely try and make this. The only issues would be cost & school schedules but with this much notice I am sure we can figure something out :) Thank you for putting so much time & thought into this. Aubrey has been dreaming aboug going back to Germany :)

I just re-read and saw 2008.... I was thinking of 07... so its certainly possible now! YAY!

*note to self* start stashin' cash for the Eurotrip. :mrgreen:

I've always wanted to sample Europe, Germany in particular.

No shortage of beer in Germany. Has never been. So no worries ever! :D
And yes, it will be organised ;). By a German in Germany, after all, doesn't this say it all? :wink:

Hmm, interesting. Accomodation probably not a problem, as we'd caravan, Joanne (my wife) would be quite keen on this trip as she is an ex german language teacher, and recently has only been back their on business with no down time. Would it be beginning or end of the month?

Me...the Boss ( aka wifey !) and hopefully my new baby are definately interested -

How about approaching a local hotel to see if we could get a group discount ?

I also have a contact here that works for a bus tour company - I could investigate costs involved in hiring a coach from UK to Germany of there was enough interest....

And one last thing... can I suggest a couple of names for the event... ???

1) Die Uber-Meet !
2) Die Rache von Corinna ! ( Corinna's Revenge !)
3) Hamburg oder Büste ! ( Hamburg or bust !)
4) Honig vergaß ich, die Kamera einzupacken ( Honey, I forgot to pack the camera... )

:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back