The old 50mm portrait lens

A 28 mm f2.8 af Nikon generally goes between $100 and $150 (sometimes more) on the bay. Evidently they have fallen out of favor but I wouldn't expect that to last long because it's a great lens for a crop chip camera.

mike

28mm has never been a good focal length for Nikon. The only 28 I can think of that was really good was the PC Nikkor. Certainly it was the only good one I've ever owned or used. I don't know why this is. The designers must have a mental block about 28mm. Even the fast, expensive 28's are below par. The 35 and 24mm wide angles, on the other hand, are excellent and noticeably better than the 28's. There is no question that you could crop a 24mm image and get a better result than with the 28's. In other words, the 28's have been "out of favor" for as long as I can remember.

I see why the 50mm is so popular. Next time I'm taking pictures of family I'll leave the 18-70mm set at 50mm and see how I like it. I might be able to make it work, especially since there's no way I'd spent $1,000 just for informal family shots.

And for the record, I use a Sony Alpha.:D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back