The Old Watering Hole

deeky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This was shot at Ft. Meade, Custer, SD. The taller stone structure in the background was the wellhead, and there were matching troughs on either side for watering the stock they used to keep. Shot just before sunset with the sun over my right shoulder, setting behind the ridge.

Let me know what you think.

IMG_1035a1 by breckmiller, on Flickr

The trough did a nice job of leading to the brightly lit (foggy?) field in the distance, I like how this one is composed.

Something strange happened to your background. I'd do it again. It's a nice B&W example.

Thanks for the comments. The background is actually blown. With the sun setting behind me, the trough is already in the shadow of the hills while the background is still in direct sunlight. Didn't plan it that way - just happened. I just happened to notice this trough while on my way back from the historic cemetery up the ridge and shot it as I went by.

Here's a little different take on it. I like the horizontal, but it shows more of the blown background. My first impression was that it was too much - hence the verticle. Maybe not?

IMG_1034b1 by breckmiller, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back