The one word I would ban

Well, what a pity, Traveler.
I will automatically be crossed off your list of members you care to talk to from now on. Hey, and all this while I thought we'd get along fine. But I use the word "cool" on occasion. Hmph. Oh well. Now I will have to learn to live with the consequences. Sigh... (I might still comment on your pics from your latest trip only will you from now on never more become aware of what I say. Hmph...)

The one word I would ban from this or any forum (not to mention the english language) is hate. I am psyched that word is rarely used here. Certainly cool is slightly vague and people could dig deeper. Personally I am happy if someone takes the time to post a comment. We are all of varying degrees of photography. Not to mention age and general life experience. Never point a finger or discount someone's approach to your work. Any feeling and or response you receive is positive. We are photographers man. If we could write we would have become writers.

You are so sophisticated,elequent,debonair that others should not use the word"cool" when speaking to you?

No, it is fine to use 'cool' when referring to my physical appearance or my demeanor - altho I do prefer 'sophisticated,elequent,debonair.' Did you forget magnetically handsome and charismatic?

However when anyone comments on my photographic efforts, I would prefer that the commenter 'dig a little deeper' and tell me why he/she likes or dislikes it. For more background I refer you to this extended thread by any poster who seems to believe much as I do. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72542

IMO, a critique can be as valuable to the person giving the critique as it is to the peron receiving it.

Traveler.....in some small way your point is valid, however considering the generation gap on the forum, "cool" is a worthy statement. A young person starting out in photography may not have the photographic vocabulary beyond "cool" to express their appreciation of the photo.

Be thankful that your work motivated or arroused someone to offer an expression of appreciation even if it's just one word.

In essence this thread has accomplished two things.

1. Many that have read through this won't bother to post critiques for you or...

2. Now when you post photos someone is bound to reply with 'COOL'

mk... I do not know enoough about photography yet to comment good comments on people photos... so sometimes all I can say is "cool" or "sweet". And when I say it I mean it. I don't know... is there some challenging way I could change that?? Should I discribe all the things I can notice that are cool (or "sweet") to me?

Personally, I too like some more in depth critique....however, I don't expect every single person that replies to give it. And just saying "Cool" in it's own way, does give me some good information....it tells me that my photo is appealing.

Not everyone on this site is qualified to give decent critique....I only think I can give moderate critique, myself, so if I'm looking at a particular image that I really like, but don't feel qualified to critique it, I won't....but I will still let them know i like the picture.

This forum is designed to cater to those of ALL skill levels. We have total amateurs, middle of the road photogs, and pros. We have Amateurs that just enjoy taking pictures and don't have a desire to become a pro...and that is perfectly ok!

To come to a public forum and tell everyone that you only want certain people to comment on your photos, and for them to only comment in a certain way is kind of preposterous.

Now, you want hard critique...are you putting your photos in the critique section? Are you asking specifically what you want critique on?

You will most likely get responses more like what you are looking for there.

And also, if there is a certain image you would really like a more in depth critique on it, and you feel you haven't gotten it, feel free to PM someone whose opinion you respect. I've done that many a time.....there is a wealth of knowledge, experience, and skill on this forum.

Well, to speak one word in favour of our Traveler here, also I prefer at least one whole sentence to any "Props, man!" sort of comment ... so I know where he's coming from. And my sarcastic reply certainly does not really mean he's no longer going to read my comments only because at times they end in "That's cool", or "This is a cool effect". But when I come back to a thread, get excited because it got three new replies over night, and all I get to read is "Nice!", "I like" or something of the kind, then also I feel a wee bit disappointed.

As I have said in Elsa's thread (it's being "quoted" here in the form of a link), using this forum for me is mostly about communication. And while I do admit that for some a one-word sentence might already be just that, i.e. their way and their means of communication, and while I can accept that, it does have the potential to leave me disappointed.

So it is not about knowing all the proper words or having all the knowledge to skillfully critisise a photographic work, but it is about ... communication. Is it, Traveler? Do I get your point, could I kind of put into my own words what you feel about the one-word-replies? (While the word as such is actually unimportant, the "depth" of the communication is what leaves you kind of - disappointed?).

What if 'cool' is the look/feel that the photographer is after? I'm thinking of that portrait of James Dean...that image could accurately be described as 'cool'.

Personally, I don't mind 'cool'...but if someone types 'kewl'...then I'm out.

Personally, I don't mind 'cool'...but if someone types 'kewl'...then I'm out.

:biglaugh:

I'm gonna have to say I sort of agree with this! :biglaugh: Course, I do know that some people do that sort of thing on purpose sort of to mock those that do that....*cough*Joe*cough*

I think we should ban the use of the words 'photograph' and 'photography'.

Perhaps we could replace them with the new words 'queuel' and 'queuelery'...

Why are you all looking at me like that?

....you know what? ..that would be fun!

....to censor random words, so they'd be replaced with oddball things. Hey mod team! Can we do that!

We can replace the word 'television' with 'talking picture box 3000'. Or the word 'camera' with 'banana'. :lol:

....you know what? ..that would be fun!

....to censor random words, so they'd be replaced with oddball things. Hey mod team! Can we do that!

We can replace the word 'television' with 'talking picture box 3000'. Or the word 'camera' with 'banana'. :lol:

My banana gets bigger when I change to certain lenses.

:-O

We can replace the word 'television' with 'talking picture box 3000'.

The correct replacement word for 'television' is 'televidium' (from 'radium', the replacement for 'radio').
And 'camera' must be 'light sponge' or 'kumquat'.
You Armoricans are always getting words wrong!

The one word I would ban from this or any forum is the word 'cool.' I just cringe when a commenter uses the word 'cool' instead of really making some effort to say what the image means in some more understandable way.

Inevitably, I cross this person off my list of people I wuld ever listen to.

COOL!

All kidding aside, why does it matter that much to you?
Pass on by and go to the next comment that means something and forget it ever happened...it's not worth getting steamed about.
Just my $0.02 or 1p worth.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back