The Photographic School of Technical Dominance

Dominantly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thanks Bitter...:scratch:

I'm going to keep this brief and get straight to the point.

My initial intentions were to group no more then 10 people together (but we have since made exceptions for the truly motivated), for the common goal of improving the technical fundamentals of their photography. The duration of said "School" is undetermined.

BE ADVISED THAT WE WILL BE STARTING OFF VERY BASIC, THIS NOT TO INSULT THE MORE EXPERIENCED MEMBERS, IT'S JUST GOOD FORM FOR THE GROUP.

We will not be focusing as much on your subjects (interest) or composition as we will your exposure, DOF usage, WB, etc. For those of you who end up participating that are a bit more advanced, of course we will enjoy seeing how creative you can be within the confines of our little workshops.

Our class progression will work much the same way as the "Evil School of Photography", to include weekly assignments and group discussion in our very own social group (which is where the assignments will be posted and discussed post shoot).

Who am I?
(this space intentionally left blank)

Prerequisites
I would prefer if you owned a DSLR (Extra credit for Nikon :greenpbl:). I would be relieved to hear that you have read over, and are somewhat familiar with the user manual that came with your camera (keep it near your keyboard). A desire to participate and post your results, along with posting critiques of other group members photos. A positive attitude!

Materials I would REALLY like you to have at a minimum (budget friendly props)
-Tripod (I'm tempted to say it's not optional). Even a cheap one. If you can't, then you might be able to use another flat surface as a platform.
-Minimum 1 Clamp light (would prefer more) with Daylight rated compact fluorescent bulb
$9 Designers Edge 8.5 In. Incandescent Clamp Light - E-245 at The Home Depot
$8 EcoSmart 27 Watt (100W) Daylight, 2 Pack (E)* - ES5M827250K at The Home Depot

-Minimum 2 white foam core poster boards (they're usually in the school supply sections of stores and about $1)
-Minimum 2 Black foam core boards or similar
-Aluminum foil
-Remote would be sweet

Who I'm looking for
Well I would like the Novice to Intermediate level folks (less likely to call my BS and show me up :lmao:)j/k. I will entertain the idea of having one or two advanced guys to balance it out and show some other creative techniques in their shot selections.

Sound Fun??
If you want to participate and feel as though you fit the mold and would benefit from this, please PM me with the following:
-A photo taken indoors with an abundance of white (not blown highlights :lol:, just white as in a wall) in the frame
-A photo of a singular object (your choice), IE a flower
-A photo taken outdoors showing sky and foreground
-Two other photos of your choice
-The amount of time you've been shooting DSLR photography
-Your technical experience (school, user manual, You Tube How To's, Pineapple)
-What you have, or are willing to get from the above list of items.

I'll keep this thread updated with the progress of the PM situation. I won't put a time frame out there for this, it all just depends on how much interest there is and the response. If I get 50 PM's before Sunday night, I might be able to pick and start early.

:mrgreen:

Team PSTD
I'll take a different approach with this one and post confirmations here. Now these are just the ones who are in for sure, there may be others that I will still be considering. I will just be waiting to see if anyone responds with interest that may benefit from it more (if that makes sense).

1. Noxire
2. PhotoXopher
3. Sushiwarrior
4. Chammer
5. Rangerrick9211
6. Hooker771
7. Jeffielove
8. Tjones8611
9. IgsEMT
10. thebeatles
11. myvinyl333
12. Tulsa

*If you've been selected go ahead and join the Community group.

Last edited:
thanks for starting this. i feel like im stuck in a rut where im not a noob, but i have no idea how to break out of this so-so cycle that im in. hopefully this will do something about that so...pm sent. :)

We, of Bitter's Evil School of Photography, accept your challenge!

ugh, I'll get my shots together within the next day or so. I need to sober up tonight, and tomorrow I have a shoot. Hopefully I'll get chosen for this one!

maybe we can have some school vs school comp

Great idea, simply ingenious!

PM sent, hope i make it :)

I'm really hoping my camera gets here soon so I can get in on some of these "schools."

Maybe there will be some more schools after it gets here and I'll be able to participate. I'll be looking forward to all the work. Thanks Dominantly.

I'm not sure about a challenge really, I mean I'm going to try cater to the basics of photography to make sure the foundation is strong before we try and build up on it.

Maybe we'll be able to offer some insight on things like what you guys could do to fix your exposure, etc.

Thank you to everyone who has PM'd me so far.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to give this a try, it fits my style perfectly!

I would also like to throw this out there, if you're in the other school, then I will be moving you to the back of the list for this one if you apply (unless there is limited response here).

Sweet! I'm in! This seems like it'll be fun and a great learning experience.

Most reactions

Back