The RAW v jpeg debate continues - over my head

The only time I don't shoot RAW is for family holiday snaps as I don't tend to PP them much. All else is RAW for wildlife, landscape and macro for me.

Thanks - I guess that there is no right way .

Actually you should have said there is no wrong way, only different.

Photography has a lot things that can be manipulated and just as many photographers that will tell you, "You HAVE to (do "X") to get a good image." where in reality the only thing you have to do is enjoy shooting otherwise you will probably get stressed/bored and quit.

Using raw or jpeg are equality good ways to shoot.
I would suggest that if you are able to get the images you want shooting in jpeg, then that's how you SHOULD shoot. I also think it is beneficial to at least read up on what benefits a raw file may be able to provide, just in case you run into a situation where a bit more editing capability may be required.
If that day comes where you wish to explore trying use raw files. I would suggest posting the jpeg that you are curios what could have been achieved in raw and pose the question to the forum and I'm sure you will get the answers as well as how to achieve these improvements.

Most importantly, keep shooting and keep learning.

Most reactions

Back