What's new

the real quarter spin shots

photobug

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 19, 2003
Messages
1,562
Reaction score
11
Location
Pasco, WA
Not substantially better than what I posted in Bloopers, but at least the quarter is in these.

spin051121_01.jpg


spin051121_02.jpg


spin051121_03.jpg


spin051121_04.jpg


Not totally happy with these, but it was a learning experience and i have a new apreciation for those who do these type shots and really make them work.
 
You got some interesting results here, 4 & 5 are my favorites. That really does look difficult to shoot and get exactly what you want. How did shoot these?
 
It's a flaming PITA, lemme tell ya! :lol:

One table lamp and trailing curtain flash. Exposures between 1 & 2.5 seconds. The shorter exposures seemed to work better with the light level I had. It's incredibly difficult to tell if the thing will be in focus or not, I guess marking the table somehow for dof would help. So you'd know whether to bother tripping the shutter or not. Most of mine were grossly oof. I tried autofocus & manual focus & both didn't work equally well.

Having somebody else to spin the coin would help tremendously as well. Flick the coin, grab the remote release, try to time the spin, whew, that's tiring!

Anybody with suggestions don't be shy- speak up!
 
You could try a lighter background with more lighting to help the camera and yourself focus and freeze the motion slightly more? I do like the three lighter horizontal pictures together though - would make a nice triptych.
 
Yeah, I've pretty much come to the same conclusion- more light!!! I think I'll cover the table with paper or something for a solid color surface as well, and move the background farther away.

The second series was with the flash and lamp tilted more toward the coin. I feel a second go somewhere in the future...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom