The right low light camera for backpacking

JDFlood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I like good quality cameras. I use a Nikon D800, Leica X2, and for backpacking I recently got a Canon G12 (on a whim). I flip flop between my prime lenses and zoom ( I am fortunate to have a lot) on my D800 (and D 700 sometimes). I live in Washington, state, so for most of the year it is a low light situation. I really like the. g12, in bright light, it does a remarkable job, but in a forest, not so much. It's dynamic range is just not there, really easy to blow out the highlights ( I always shoot -2/3 EV too). I love the size and weight. So I want to go to a larger sensor camera... Although no zooms, I suppose a Leica M series would fit most with my tastes ( yeh, I know the zoom problem, but I could live with that), but I need to be a good boy in spending money for a while. So, the Fujifilm Xpro-1 seems reasonable. But I would really like something smaller and cheaper... I'd be ok with a fixed zoom at least 5x and for a grand or so. But in addition to sharpness it needs good light performance. Any ideas. JD

Most reactions

New Topics

Back