The Rose Garden in Duluth, MN.....CC please :)

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are some of my fav shots from the rose garden in duluth. This place is frickin BEAUTIFUL in bloom. I always went when I had someone with me and it was a rush. I could spend HOURS there photographing! and I will this coming summer :)

1) Yellowish rose

229 by Rebecca Andresen Photography, on Flickr
1/200, f5.6, iso 100
**I really like it with the background underexposed. I feel like it makes the flower pop. IT looked better on my comp, then it does thru flickr. Its not nearly as fuzzy.

2) Red Rose

238 by Rebecca Andresen Photography, on Flickr
1/200, f 7.1, iso 100
**I really really like this one. Its super different. I feel like it makes you think is this drawn? painted? or a photo? Too tight of crop tho and It was taken that way?

3) A head on a fountain

282 by Rebecca Andresen Photography, on Flickr
1/1000, f5.6, iso 400
** Totally screwed up my exposure in this one I think. I dont neeeed my shutter to be so fast. It could have been neat with a slower shutter speed. It was BRIGHT as hell out that day def NO NO NO need for that high of an iso outside. O well live and learn

4) Gavin in the gazebo

082 by Rebecca Andresen Photography, on Flickr
1/1000, f5, iso 400
**I dont like the pillar growing out of his head. I wish I had taken a few steps over.

5) White flower

039 by Rebecca Andresen Photography, on Flickr
1/1000, f5.6, iso 400

6) Gazebo

293 by Rebecca Andresen Photography, on Flickr
1/1000, f5, iso 400
**Dont like the shadows. The tree behind it, shrub and lightpole.

7) Ceiling of the gazebo! LOVE this ceiling still trying to capture this in more of a creative way.

300 by Rebecca Andresen Photography, on Flickr
1/1000, f5, iso 400

**Over all I feel like I need to pay more attention to my exposure. Select better shutter speeds, aperatures, and iso's for each scenario and remember to change it when I go to take the next picture. I do feel like from when I first started learning I have improved but still have a ways to go!

Sorry for this many photos I normally leave it down to 3 or 4 :) Feel free to open up on me!! only makes me better!!

Yes, you really do need to pay more attention to your exposures, time of day, light, and lighting conditions. Flowers are delicate, and it doesn't take much to have blown out high lights (believe me I know 1st hand). Your 2nd shot of a tight close up has blown out highlights. The white concrete gazebo also has blown out high lights caused by a bright sun and direct light. On the other hand, the 1st rose picture has softer, more even lighting, yet the directional light gives the flower a sense of form and depth.

Like so many of us, I can't really cherry pick my days and times to go take pictures, so I'm at the mercy of the weather and light conditions. This coming spring I'll be further experimenting with a small portable diffuser to help control the harsh outdoor light I have to deal with.

Yea Im def still learning exposure and these were taken back in August. I was putting these up and and when I was looking at the exif data I was like WTF!?!?! Why did I shoot that way! I know better! Well now it will def stick in my head a bit better lol.

We had gone to the garden about 3-4ish in the afternoon so it was SUPER high sun. Awful settings to shot. I can't wait for the summer again since I work up in Duluth I can swing down and work with my lighting better after work.

That one rose picture. It was a rose bush in the shade! There were taller bushes,shrubs to the side so it gave me semi decent light.

Hey ya live and ya learn and you get better! Thanks for the feedback!

RebeccaAPhotography said:
Yea Im def still learning exposure and these were taken back in August. I was putting these up and and when I was looking at the exif data I was like WTF!?!?! Why did I shoot that way! I know better! Well now it will def stick in my head a bit better lol.

We had gone to the garden about 3-4ish in the afternoon so it was SUPER high sun. Awful settings to shot. I can't wait for the summer again since I work up in Duluth I can swing down and work with my lighting better after work.

That one rose picture. It was a rose bush in the shade! There were taller bushes,shrubs to the side so it gave me semi decent light.

Hey ya live and ya learn and you get better! Thanks for the feedback!

You should look at investing in a reflector/diffuser. They make these 5 in 1 reflectors that can also become a diffuser the you could place between the direct sunlight and your subject. The result is a more even and pleasant lighting. :)

I actually purchased one not too long ago. It's 5 in 1. I just need to bust it out and give it a whirl. Don't you need like a 3rd set of hands. I need to find some good reads on how to actually use those things

I actually purchased one not too long ago. It's 5 in 1. I just need to bust it out and give it a whirl. Don't you need like a 3rd set of hands. I need to find some good reads on how to actually use those things
Reflector stands is what you need/want.

Sounds good thanks for the reply! **Im a psyhic and see into the future....I predict a future christmas present** LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back