The snowy Nooksack River

scole

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.scolephoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
You'd be hard pressed to convince many Washingtonians that this weekend's storm is probably the last "lowland" snow event. I was excited because it was one last opportunity this winter to photograph Nooksack Falls with a fresh coat of snow.

I also wanted to experiment with another piece of equipment- a 6' aluminum ladder. Funny as it may seem, I've thought about possibly getting different angles or compositions with the assistance of the ladder. So- I carried the ladder the half mile or so from the Mt Baker Hwy to the falls.

While the fresh snow seemed promising, the actual amount at the falls wasn't. I had hoped for 2-3" or so to really provide a nice coat for the trees and rocks but the overnight snowfall amount was more like 1". I had been at the falls for about 15 minutes or so when it started snowing. Hard. *VERY* difficult conditions to take photos when the snow is blowing into and on your lenses. I'm very thankful that Pentax includes weather seals with their DSLR cameras (for a fraction of the Canikon prices)!

1. Nooksack Falls before the driving Snow

492425941_noT7Z-L.jpg

492424869_A7g7o-L.jpg

3. Snow Pillows

492424852_wBqjG-L.jpg

4. Solitary Tree

492425467_zEfak-L.jpg

5. Snowfall...

492425954_6t7Xk-L.jpg

6. Different perspective of the falls

492425477_6qSj7-L.jpg

7. Lastly, I checked another part of the river I've been meaning to...

492426505_vgb2H-L.jpg

8. River Flow..

492426367_YDZ2c-L.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Am I the only one who sees a slightly greenish tint in all of these?
The snow not being all white?
Is it a reflection from the evergreen trees, maybe? Was the atmosphere thus "charged"? Or what is it that could have brought about that tint?

Other than that, the area is WONDERFUL!
As the "flatlander", who I am (where I live, there's not a hill in sight, we call mole hills "mountains" already ... almost ;)) , mountain areas are fascinating per se, and waterfalls are something quite "exotic", too, so I'll always enjoy looking at photos of this kind.

I think the one that fascinated me most, though, was not the falls, but the "other spot" (7). Also the "different perspective" (6) looks intersting.
I'd like the snow pillows and the solitary tree better if the snow were truly white and not this green. But I've mentioned the tint already ...

Gorgeous shots! I dont see a green tint but more of a grey tint. I wonder if playing with "curves" on PS would help with a few of the mostly snow photos.
Also, I like the effect of only 1" of snow, its gorgeous. Love west side of Washington, beautiful scenery there, would love to go back now, 10 years later with my camera.

I don't see a green tint either but I am a little bit colorblind....it does look like there is a little greyish color to the snow in #3 and 4. I really like #1 it seems so peaceful. #7 is great I like the angle and all the snow, very nice shot.

I really like #7 and #8. but #7 is a great shot in my opinion.

Am I the only one who sees a slightly greenish tint in all of these?
The snow not being all white?
Is it a reflection from the evergreen trees, maybe? Was the atmosphere thus "charged"? Or what is it that could have brought about that tint?

Other than that, the area is WONDERFUL!
As the "flatlander", who I am (where I live, there's not a hill in sight, we call mole hills "mountains" already ... almost ;)) , mountain areas are fascinating per se, and waterfalls are something quite "exotic", too, so I'll always enjoy looking at photos of this kind.

I think the one that fascinated me most, though, was not the falls, but the "other spot" (7). Also the "different perspective" (6) looks intersting.
I'd like the snow pillows and the solitary tree better if the snow were truly white and not this green. But I've mentioned the tint already ...

Thanks for the comments. I guess I haven't thought of it as a green tint but I suppose its possible to view it as such. The photos were shot with a white balance of SHADE since I knew I didn't want the blue cast of CLOUDY or the warmer tone of DAYLIGHT. I am just a bit disappointed with my post-processing of #3 & 4. I was hoping to get just a bit more pop and "white" than what's shown here so I might try again but this time with ACR in Photoshop.

I'm also really excited about finding the location of #7; it's almost exactly what I had pictured in my mind when I first had the idea. I originally found it using Google Earth but haven't been able to explore it until now. That location was my last of the day and I forgot my small umbrella in my truck AGAIN so I was having some troubles with fall snow and keeping the lens clear for the shots (there are 5 shots that make up the panorama). I'm really looking forward to re-shooting this spot.

Thanks again!

Steve

Most reactions

Back