The swans finally showed up.

Mikhal

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Early morning at the marsh and the elusive swans finally were in an area to be photographed. I was using a d7500 with a nikon 200-500mm lens. Also does anyone have an ID on the bird in the final shot?
DSC_1421.jpg

DSC_1423.jpg

DSC_1428.jpg

DSC_1453.jpg

DSC_1546.jpg

Nice set. Where are you from? That might help with I.D.'ing the bird. If it's a hawk you might be able to pin down what type of hawk in your area.

The last shot looks a lot like a golden eagle. Hard to be sure because of the lighting.

Nice set. Where are you from? That might help with I.D.'ing the bird. If it's a hawk you might be able to pin down what type of hawk in your area.

I am in Wisconsin, if it is a hawk it is probably a Red Tail Hawk, but it looked larger than what I've seen hawks to be.

DSC_1554.jpg
The last shot looks a lot like a golden eagle. Hard to be sure because of the lighting.

I am pretty sure that Golden Eagles don't live around here, could it be a fledgling Bald Eagle?

Last edited:
I just looked at some pics of juvenile bald eagles and it could pass for one with it's spotted white on dark markings and the white around the bill and head.

Here's one I pulled off the web for comparison.

juvenile_bald_eagle_by_sgt_slaughter-d5samsk.jpg

I just looked at some pics of juvenile bald eagles and it could pass for one with it's spotted white on dark markings and the white around the bill and head.

Here's one I pulled off the web for comparison.
I tried using google image look up and it gave me everything from a crow to a buzzard to a hawk, not so sure that program is reliable lol

I wish it would have been slightly closer and better light

I did find this though.

922970-2560x1440-[DesktopNexus.com].jpg

Last edited:
Nice shots. Very sharp.

I have that lens also and have been struggling to figure out how to manage it. Most of the time I shoot with it on a monopod. Have you found a good technique that works for you?

Nice shots. Very sharp.

I have that lens also and have been struggling to figure out how to manage it. Most of the time I shoot with it on a monopod. Have you found a good technique that works for you?

Believe it or not these are all hand held. I have been kicking around using my monopod though because the lens gets so heavy and trying to balancing it just right (especially at the longer distances) becomes more difficult the longer the outing. Recently I have been switching between area auto focus and single point focus and really trying to get a handle on what works best in which situation.

If you are using a monopod are you turning the VR off?

I did reach out to the people that manage the marsh and they believe that it is indeed a juvenile bald eagle

Nice shots. Very sharp.

Believe it or not these are all hand held. I have been kicking around using my monopod though because the lens gets so heavy and trying to balancing it just right (especially at the longer distances) becomes more difficult the longer the outing. Recently I have been switching between area auto focus and single point focus and really trying to get a handle on what works best in which situation.

No, I'm not turning it off because even with the monopod I'm not holding it perfectly still. I've only had it a few months and I'm still experimenting with it. Very nice, btw, for handheld. Have fun with yours.

Nice shots. Very sharp.

No, I'm not turning it off because even with the monopod I'm not holding it perfectly still. I've only had it a few months and I'm still experimenting with it. Very nice, btw, for handheld. Have fun with yours.

You too, you will learn the ins and outs of it!

Most reactions

Back