Tundra Swan migration in full swing

Joel Bolden

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The Tundra Swan migration is now in full swing as they pass through North Central Pennsylvania. At least 500(according to the Ranger) showed up yesterday at the far end of Black Moshannon Lake. There are no paths to that area, so I broke out my trusty kayak, after plastic welding a minor crack, and paddled to within a discreet distance of them. I didn't want them alarmed. After sitting there for about an hour watching, one large segment took off and I managed shots as they passed. It's an amazing thing to watch/listen to. Fortunately for you all, out of the 200 photos I took here's just a few so you can get the idea. They are beautiful wildfowl.
_IMG2336.l.jpg
_IMG2340.l.jpg
_IMG2372.l.jpg
_IMG2374.l.jpg
_IMG2399.l.jpg
_IMG2412-2.l.jpg
_IMG2416.l.jpg
_IMG2431.l.jpg
_IMG2470.l.jpg

What a beautiful sight! I'd be in heaven watching and listening to them. Really nice set.:586:

Wonderful set! Have never seen Tundra Swans before, that I know of. How do you keep your kayak still when photographing? I've had challenges keeping mine in place. I tried grounding, but there is so much boating on the lake, that I quickly get swamped by the wake coming into the shore.

Wonderful set! Have never seen Tundra Swans before, that I know of. How do you keep your kayak still when photographing? I've had challenges keeping mine in place. I tried grounding, but there is so much boating on the lake, that I quickly get swamped by the wake coming into the shore.
A lot of times I don't/can't ground it; I rely on fstop/shutter speed. In this case the winds were around 25 kts. but the lake at this point is only a few inches deep along the shore, so I did a serious grounding on a submerged log.

Most reactions

Back