The Tannery Drum

Looks better in color, to me at least.

(400 word C&C deleted for brevity.)

Looks better in color, to me at least.

(400 word C&C deleted for brevity.)

Please, I'd like to hear the full C&C.

I like the color better too as well as the horizontal.
The contrast between the green leaves and brown wood is striking and lost in the conversion to a degree.

The placement of the subject in the vertical makes the composition top heavy.

I like the color better too as well as the horizontal.
The contrast between the green leaves and brown wood is striking and lost in the conversion to a degree.

The placement of the subject in the vertical makes the composition top heavy.

Thanks, That makes sense.

The textures and tones are way to close in the b&w, you're got a busy mass of eyestrain, with a dark black rectangle in the middle of it. The color works better, or you could convert differently to create some substantial tonal separation between the drum and the foliage. Some more directional light (can you GET that, or is this all under foliage?) to give some shape to the drum would be a good thing here, I think.

That said, you've definitely got a thing going on, and almost HDR feel with the shadows obliterated and a very even tonal palette smeared over a very crunchy texture. It's definitely a look, very modern, and lots of people like it plenty.

Can you get close to it? I see an awful lot of cool detail shots in there.

The textures and tones are way to close in the b&w, you're got a busy mass of eyestrain, with a dark black rectangle in the middle of it. The color works better, or you could convert differently to create some substantial tonal separation between the drum and the foliage. Some more directional light (can you GET that, or is this all under foliage?) to give some shape to the drum would be a good thing here, I think.

That said, you've definitely got a thing going on, and almost HDR feel with the shadows obliterated and a very even tonal palette smeared over a very crunchy texture. It's definitely a look, very modern, and lots of people like it plenty.

Is that a compliment or an observation?

The light sucked in this spot. It was rainy and overcast with lots of leaf covor so the light is very flat and not dynamic. It did compres some of the shadows to bring up the texture in some of the dark spots. I did struggle a but on this one because I really hit the wall as far as what my camera can handle in this lightinging. THe more I tweaked the more it looked like mush.

Can you get close to it? I see an awful lot of cool detail shots in there.

Yeah I wish I had. It's located 2hrs away so I will have to spot and try again.

Thanks Runnah. I like the B&W conversion you made but am going through a bit of a period of colour photography myself right now, so I appreciate your posting the colour version for us to see. Lovely Play between the browns and reds of the drum and the gorgeous greens that surround it.

Thanks Runnah. I like the B&W conversion you made but am going through a bit of a period of colour photography myself right now, so I appreciate your posting the colour Version for us to see. Lovely Play between the browns and reds of the drum and the gorgeous greens that surround it.

Yeah I tend to favor BW but I think the color contrast really pulled this one out.

The color version does it for me! I love the old, rustic, rotten woodsy feel. I know, I just made up a word but it fits I think. The horizontal version I like because it tells me more of the surrounding. This this looks like it is way back in the woods. Great find and capture! Thanks for teaching me what it is. Otherwise I would have thought it was a huge old high line wire spool.

It's an observation. There's lots of stuff I don't personally like, even stuff I don't personally "get", which I respect more or less as a stylistic thing. HDR-like looks are one of them.

It's an observation. There's lots of stuff I don't personally like, even stuff I don't personally "get", which I respect more or less as a stylistic thing. HDR-like looks are one of them.

No, HDR just used the clarity slider about 50%,

Most reactions

Back