The Tempest

The_Pearl_Poet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
All of these shots were taken of the same storm as it moved through the area. Luckily, I was able to capture these images before the torrential rain reached me. Comments and critiques are appreciated.

Attachments

• $The Tempest 1.jpg
    $The Tempest 1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 88
  • $The Tempest 3.jpg
    $The Tempest 3.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 57
  • $The Tempest 4.jpg
    $The Tempest 4.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 59
Damn that looks like a crappy day on the horizon

Nice ugly clouds, but then I just love a good storm, particularly when I can view it from a distance. My only comment is that it is too bad that you didn't capture any of the detail in the darker parts of the clouds. Often that is where the fun is, if you know what I mean. How did you take these and are they a conversion from a jpeg or a raw? Also, I am always curious about how others are converting their images to B&W - how did you do these? Thanks.

WesternGuy

I never intended to take pictures of a storm when I decided to visit this location. I was hoping for a fiery sky with some interesting clouds. When I got there, I saw this massive front in the distance. For the first and third shots, I believe that I used a tripod, and the second shot was hand held. Early on I was trying to get some foreground in my shots, so I was using a smaller aperture and needed the tripod. I quickly realized that the location didn't have much to offer concerning the foreground, so I took the camera off the tripod and shot with a wider aperture.

As a rule, I pretty much always shoot raw. Concerning the conversion and editing, I used Adobe Camera Raw to make some adjustments but nothing to do with black and white conversion. To convert these, all I used was the black and white converter tool in PS6. I also did some dodging and burning of the clouds.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back