The Time Tunnel

DwayneOakes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Thanks for taking a look !

Here are the basic stages on how the photo was made.

In-camera settings:

This was a camera mistake on my part. The camera rolled off a small log
on to the forest floor right after the self timer count (the camera is fine, D80 are tough lol)
and this is what the camera captured.

-Nikon D80/Nikkor 18-200mmVR
-1/10 second @ f/22
-18mm
-ISO 100
-Ev -1 1/3
-Vr off
-self timer 5 sec

Software editing: (Nikon Capture NX2)

-straightened the photo (as the camera captured the trees on a 45 degree
angle)

-converted the photo to black and white

-lightened (dodge) all the highlights in the photo that are natural occurring

-added tad of global contrast boost

-healed out any sensor dust

-added a blue Duotone tint by moving the WB whitebalance slider to
a very cold temp to add mood to the photo

-added a tad of global USM sharpening

-used the sliders in (levels) to set the final exposure

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

p128942380-4.jpg

I really like this. Gorgeous editing and really unique capture.

Were you the one that explained your image of the woods and such last time?

It's a really bad idea, IMO. It's best to keep your methods to yourself ... MAYBE if someone asks you... but otherwise it just rips the guts and mystery out of the piece, which really takes a lot away from it.

Thank you very much for the comments !

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

Sorry but this pic leaves me cold, so the tec details are meaningless.
I also can't work out whether it's landscape or cityscape.

I just ignored the technical details, and went straight for the image. I don't mind the technical stuff, and people really ought to learn to use the scroll bar (heh. five posts in and I'm prob. getting unpopular).

I also don't care if this is a city scape or a landscape. It's not really either, and I'm guessing that the only reason it is here is because it doesn't really fit elsewhere, except for maybe "general" - though I don't think it fits there either. If, however, I am wrong, and that this is a landscape/cityscape, it fails as it says very little about landscapes or cityscapes ... on second thought, I do think I know that feeling of being alone in the woods, and having that spooky "i'm alone in the woods - just keep walking towered the light" kind of feeling. I am not sure that this is what you saw when you decided to keep it or not.

Overall, I think that the image is kind of gimmicky (mistake or not), and bogging it down with technical specs only contribute to that feeling. I'll admit that this image is a bit more interesting than most like it but still, in my opinion, this image is still just a "slow exposure, rotate and zoom" kind of image. When you see one, you see them all, you know.

Thank you very much for your honest views on this one !

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

Most reactions

Back