What's new

The Ultimate for sale thread

...
Are you thinking of selling your WRX for cheap? I'll trade you an Outback?[/QUOTE]

LOL ... what else do you got?
 
Dude...sleep on this decision for a little bit.

I know its more about the principle than 50 cents, but if you switch to Canon, you can bet on Nikon coming out with a "better" camera that has one more extra feature than the Canon or 1 more FPS, and you sound like the type that will then sell on your Canon stuff to go back to Nikon.

If I were you, I would just hang tight and stick with Nikon.
 
Dude...sleep on this decision for a little bit.

I know its more about the principle than 50 cents, but if you switch to Canon, you can bet on Nikon coming out with a "better" camera that has one more extra feature than the Canon or 1 more FPS, and you sound like the type that will then sell on your Canon stuff to go back to Nikon.

If I were you, I would just hang tight and stick with Nikon.
I think your right...Well, I know your right...

Thanks for the input.
 
Now that was priceless, I laughed at the screw loose. Nice pun. haha

But yeah maybe your right. Its just so frustrating!!!

Its like when I took my Brand new (4 month old) Subaru WRX in because I had a chip in my windshield (rock chip).

It was very minor, but I wanted to take care of it before it got too bad.

They called me a week later, said they had to replace the entire windshield because they broke it trying to fix it and wanted me to pay $425 for it.

I escalated the whole thing and got Subaru Corporate on the phone and after 3 months of arguing with person after person, I was reimbursed my money.

Maybe I just have bad luck?

I cant imagine what did you about all the paint chips you must have got on it...
 
Mmmmmm that SB900...
 
Ok, well a couple of thoughts here. First it's never a good idea to make large financial decisions from an emotional place. So my advice is also to give this some time and additional thought. If you then decide that you still wish to sell off your equipment at least you'll be assured that the decision was more of a rationally based notion rather than a spur of the moment knee jerk reaction.

Second thought, the customer service you get nowadays can vary widely based on something as simple as who answers the phone on the other end. I'd agree that you got some bad customer service here - sadly though I don't think you'll find a huge difference in switching to Canon, or Sony, or anyone else for that matter.

A couple of thoughts on dealing with CS reps. Step one, never call up and immediately demand to speak to a supervisor, when you do your shooting yourself in the foot. Sure, it seems like a good idea to impress on them how angry/upset you are, etc.. but thing you have to understand is that the CS supervisors, for the most part, are less knowledgeable about the actual internal day to day workings of the system. Most supervisors are there to "supervise", more or less just to manage the people under them.

Many are often hired from outside the company and know far less about the actual day to day how to get stuff done aspect than the person who answered the phone. You'll almost always get better results if you don't have to escalate a call to them. There are some exceptions - but your best bet is to work with the CS rep first, and only go to a supervisor if it's absolutely necessary.

Step two, when the customer service rep tells you there name, repeat it back to them just as if you were writing it down. I recommend you write it down, but even if you don't make a show of the fact that you are. They'll launch into their spiel, when they do ask them for their last name, last initial or id number. Repeat that back to them as well, impress on them that you are making a record of who your speaking with. You'd be stunned at how much better customer service you'll get if the person on the other end of the phone thinks that this might eventually come back to them. Lol

Step three, let the rep know you are upset but qualify that by letting them know that you are not upset with them personally. When you make it personal you remove any incentive the rep might have to go out of their way to help you. If you let them know that you are upset about the situation, but not mad at them personally and don't get nasty with them, it really does make a huge difference in how far they will go your behalf. It's about getting the rep on your side. Not always possible, but believe me when you can this makes a huge, huge difference.

Just a couple of general tips for anyone that might need to deal with CS over the phone in the future.
 
robbins, very nice post! Thanks for all that. I will definitely take that all into consideration...

Sounds like you have some experience in CS? Or have dealt with it enough to know better haha.

But you are right, now that I think about it, I've been building up my gear list for 8 years now and over a 50 cent screw. Sounds insane lol.

I have a tendency to 'live in the moment', so the 1DX and 85 1.2 really appealed to me and was calling my name haha
 
robbins, very nice post! Thanks for all that. I will definitely take that all into consideration...

Sounds like you have some experience in CS? Or have dealt with it enough to know better haha.

But you are right, now that I think about it, I've been building up my gear list for 8 years now and over a 50 cent screw. Sounds insane lol.

I have a tendency to 'live in the moment', so the 1DX and 85 1.2 really appealed to me and was calling my name haha

I spent a lot of years answering a phone and providing customer service for various companies, in both part time and full time positions. I do Risk Assessment now, but been around the block a few times on the CS end.

But ya, if you do end up switching to Canon that's cool. I know a ton of people who shoot Canon. Heck I even like a couple of them.. lol. But I think your best bet is to make that decision after some of the emotion has drained out of the situation. Just my 2 cents worth of course, YMMV.
 
robbins, very nice post! Thanks for all that. I will definitely take that all into consideration...

Sounds like you have some experience in CS? Or have dealt with it enough to know better haha.

But you are right, now that I think about it, I've been building up my gear list for 8 years now and over a 50 cent screw. Sounds insane lol.

I have a tendency to 'live in the moment', so the 1DX and 85 1.2 really appealed to me and was calling my name haha

I spent a lot of years answering a phone and providing customer service for various companies, in both part time and full time positions. I do Risk Assessment now, but been around the block a few times on the CS end.

But ya, if you do end up switching to Canon that's cool. I know a ton of people who shoot Canon. Heck I even like a couple of them.. lol. But I think your best bet is to make that decision after some of the emotion has drained out of the situation. Just my 2 cents worth of course, YMMV.
Can I have 48 more cents now to cover my screws? LOL

But seriously though, you guys are right.

I have thought about switching for awhile, so switching wasn't a spur of the moment decision...

But finally pulling the trigger was extremely spur of the moment after this incident.

I think I'm going to sell a couple things and buy Nikons 85 1.4G.
 
The overall turning point for me though was Nikons customer service, its terrible!!!!

As you can tell how much I have invested in Nikon.

I had a SCREW, ONE SCREW come out of my body, and Nikon wanted me to pay 50 cents to get it replaced and they wouldn't cover it under their warranty.

50 CENTS!

After I've invested close to 10-15k, whatever it is. Absolutely insane if you ask me.

Maybe I'm overreacting a bit. lol

Yeah...you're overreacting by about $8499.50 worth! Good luck with the all-new system.
 
The overall turning point for me though was Nikons customer service, its terrible!!!!

As you can tell how much I have invested in Nikon.

I had a SCREW, ONE SCREW come out of my body, and Nikon wanted me to pay 50 cents to get it replaced and they wouldn't cover it under their warranty.

50 CENTS!

After I've invested close to 10-15k, whatever it is. Absolutely insane if you ask me.

Maybe I'm overreacting a bit. lol

Yeah...you're overreacting by about $8499.50 worth! Good luck with the all-new system.
Yeah, I had some time to cool off, just was really frustrating when all I wanted/needed was a simple screw and they made me feel like my business didn't matter (which it really doesn't on a grand scale of things), just thought something so simple would be covered under a warranty claim or something.
 
robbins, very nice post! Thanks for all that. I will definitely take that all into consideration...

Sounds like you have some experience in CS? Or have dealt with it enough to know better haha.

But you are right, now that I think about it, I've been building up my gear list for 8 years now and over a 50 cent screw. Sounds insane lol.

I have a tendency to 'live in the moment', so the 1DX and 85 1.2 really appealed to me and was calling my name haha

I spent a lot of years answering a phone and providing customer service for various companies, in both part time and full time positions. I do Risk Assessment now, but been around the block a few times on the CS end.

But ya, if you do end up switching to Canon that's cool. I know a ton of people who shoot Canon. Heck I even like a couple of them.. lol. But I think your best bet is to make that decision after some of the emotion has drained out of the situation. Just my 2 cents worth of course, YMMV.
Can I have 48 more cents now to cover my screws? LOL

But seriously though, you guys are right.

I have thought about switching for awhile, so switching wasn't a spur of the moment decision...

But finally pulling the trigger was extremely spur of the moment after this incident.

I think I'm going to sell a couple things and buy Nikons 85 1.4G.

I've got the 85 1.8G, it's a great lens even though I don't get a ton of use out of it. My guess is you'll probably be really happy with the 1.4.
 
robbins, very nice post! Thanks for all that. I will definitely take that all into consideration...

Sounds like you have some experience in CS? Or have dealt with it enough to know better haha.

But you are right, now that I think about it, I've been building up my gear list for 8 years now and over a 50 cent screw. Sounds insane lol.

I have a tendency to 'live in the moment', so the 1DX and 85 1.2 really appealed to me and was calling my name haha

I spent a lot of years answering a phone and providing customer service for various companies, in both part time and full time positions. I do Risk Assessment now, but been around the block a few times on the CS end.

But ya, if you do end up switching to Canon that's cool. I know a ton of people who shoot Canon. Heck I even like a couple of them.. lol. But I think your best bet is to make that decision after some of the emotion has drained out of the situation. Just my 2 cents worth of course, YMMV.
Can I have 48 more cents now to cover my screws? LOL

But seriously though, you guys are right.

I have thought about switching for awhile, so switching wasn't a spur of the moment decision...

But finally pulling the trigger was extremely spur of the moment after this incident.

I think I'm going to sell a couple things and buy Nikons 85 1.4G.

I've got the 85 1.8G, it's a great lens even though I don't get a ton of use out of it. My guess is you'll probably be really happy with the 1.4.
I've even thought about the 200 f2...Slightly more expensive though.
 
I've even thought about the 200 f2...Slightly more expensive though.

My two most used lenses by far are the 70-200 mm F/2.8 and the 50 mm 1.8. Since the vast majority of what I shoot is telephoto the 70-200 spends the majority of the time on the camera. I've got a 70-300 4.5-5.6 but really I just find the 70-200 a lot more versatile, I can carry a 1.4x and 2x teleconverter without adding any appreciable weight to my bag and it covers a ton of shooting situations, 70-200 at F/2.8, 98-280 mm at F/4 and 140-400 mm at F/5.6.

I love the 85 for shooting events, particularly indoor - but I just seem to get more use out of my 50 for general purpose stuff. The 85 1.8 is unbelievable sharp though, it's just an amazing lens.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom