The unobserved - Street pics

Interesting, thanks for sharing, the technique. I've used the zone method in years past, but now for some reason it doesn't feel comfortable (maybe I've gotten lazy with technology :biggrin:). I also came from a film era, and admit to a fondness for B&W, but I find on occasion that color brings out the little intrinsic elements in the scene. I'm reminded of some lyrics from the song "In Color", by Jamey Johnson, "A pictures worth a thousand words, But you cant see what those shades of gray keep covered. You should've seen it in color."

I feel the same about 'developments'

AU05.jpg

J

Another couple I talked to, they were very wary, not of me but of the pickpockets they said frequented the market. This was confirmed by a Policeman I talked to a bit later, he was interested in what I was doing.

AU06.jpg

J

One thing I've noticed throughout on your B&Ws is the dynamic range, from rich blacks to whites, they have a sharpness or pop to them. No muddled tones in any of them. Considering the methods you've described in capturing the images that's quite an accomplishment.

Hello smoke665,

Well cameras tell lies. My C&G night school tutor George Bott said, 'Expose for the highlights and let the shadows take care of themselves'. I use Curves to bring out the shadows much the same as having ones hands under the enlarger light. In the normal course of my photography (not street pics) I use the the EV tool to make sure that the highlights are not blown.

In some situations I use a tripod and make two exposures one for the shadows and one for the highlights. I know that some cameras will merge differently exposed frames but I like to do it with complete control over the final result and use the Reveal All mask facility.

George's advice still applies :)

Cheers - J

[edit] When I made and used this:

WoodenCamera.jpg

I found that the film was entirely different to the miniature and roll film stuff and had a huge dynamic range. Some parts of a neg needing only a few seconds and others a couple of minutes.

'Expose for the highlights and let the shadows take care of themselves'. I use Curves to bring out the shadows much the same as having ones hands under the enlarger light. In the normal course of my photography (not street pics) I use the the EV tool to make sure that the highlights are not blown.

Insert "skill level in reading light to make appropriate adjustments". LOL

Nice build by the way.

I find digital black-and-white really really handy. Using various Lightroom filter effects, or the channel mixer in Photoshop, it is easily possible to convert a color image to a gorgeous black and white in a matter of minutes, all the while being able to record the exact action or the preset in Lightroom. Many people prefer to use the channel mixer in Photoshop . Whatever method you use, it is possible to convert a color image to a gorgeous black-and-white in a matter of minutes, all the while being able to record the exact action or pre-set needed to achieve a particular look.

In past years I was particularly enamored with using my Canon cameras in Raw plus JPEG mode set to capture in monochrome, with Sepia Toming and the filter effect set to yellow filter,medium size JPEG, and the sharpening set to high. This produced a lovely out of Camera JPEG, and of course captured all the sensor data in RGB in full, untouched raw. The advantage to shooting this way is that in the field you can look at the LCD and evaluate the image as a black-and-white, and can make lighting and exposure adjustments that look good in black-and-white.and of course you still have all the color data in the raw file, so it's easy to make a color image.

Hello Derrel,

Thanks for the explanation good of you, those tools you mention are actually Curves in an Action as are a lot of the Filters the sliders alter the Curves, all very useful though saves doing it long hand.

I liked the sight lines in this one, not quite looking at each other.

AU07.jpg

J

1,000 yard stare

AU08.jpg

J

Dedication, the market had just opened, he'd got a cold, he's in his 80's.

AU09.jpg

J

The ever wary eye. 28mm lens proving its worth.

AU10.jpg

J

Most reactions

New Topics

Back