“The USS New Jersey BB62..."

Nice pics and brings back memories. A bunch of us toured her when she was tied up in Subic Bay in 1969 and, later, watched her fire those 16" rifles supporting the ground troops. We were told we were too close and to back off some. The recoil from a broadside heeled her over considerably and the muzzle blast tore up the ocean.

Last edited:
Workman-like.

@Derrel Thanks Man!

Interesting tour and thanks for the photos. I was looking up the ship to find out more about it, and apparently, there were two different ships? The bell says 1906, but the information I found said that it served from 1943 to 1999. The reason I did this was that it was curious to me that some modern equipment was placed into the scenes, like computers. If you like these kinds of ships, and you get to the Gulf of Mexico, I recommend visiting the USS Alabama in Mobile Bay, Alabama. An interesting ship and if you look closely, you can still see some of the bullet hits the ship took.

@HowdyMark Glad that my images intrigued you enough to look it up and thank your very much for adding the info...

Good set. I love ships and boats. My one real regret in life is not joining the Royal Navy when I left school (I ended up serving Queen and Country in another way) so I enjoyed these.

@Space Face Thanks Man!

Great set, the processing suits this well.

I recommend visiting the USS Alabama

I 2nd this, as it's great way to spend some time. They have a nice museum and a submarine as well.

I thought the Alabama was big but at 887 ft long the USS NJ is a full 207 feet longer (right at a third longer), and over 15,000 tons heavier.

@smoke665 Thanks Man!

Thanks for the e tour of the ship, I would love to see you get the job of making one of those 3D v tours of that ship
I don’t know your intent but for me the chain 2nd image was too soot and white wash for me.... excuse me old speak
.... too contrasting from the black to white.
Nice tour set, thanks

@Original katomi Thank you!

As a former US Air Force communications repairman, the racks with electronics really brought back memories for me. Since my SIL is a current US Coast Guardsman, the whole tour really interests me. I appreciate this thread very much. Thank you for this post!

@Dean_Gretsch My pleasure...glad it brought back memories and sorry for your loss as well, these furry kids leave their paw prints in our hearts forever......

Very nice set! Looks like a fun/interesting trip. I've driven past and seen Battleship Memorial Park and the USS Alabama (BB-60) a number of times from a distance while traveling on IH 10 through Mobile, AL. The next time I go near it I'm visiting it.

@K9Kirk Thanks!

Interesting tour and thanks for the photos. I was looking up the ship to find out more about it, and apparently, there were two different ships? The bell says 1906, but the information I found said that it served from 1943 to 1999. The reason I did this was that it was curious to me that some modern equipment was placed into the scenes, like computers. If you like these kinds of ships, and you get to the Gulf of Mexico, I recommend visiting the USS Alabama in Mobile Bay, Alabama. An interesting ship and if you look closely, you can still see some of the bullet hits the ship took.
BB-62 is the second USS New Jersey. The first New Jersey was BB-16, commissioned in 1906, decommissioned in 1920. She was used as a bomb target by Col. Billy Mitchell in 1923, and sunk off Cape Hatteras, North Carolina. The bell pictured is from her.

The second USS New Jersey, BB-62 is one of the Iowa Class battleships built during the middle of World War II. They included USS Iowa (BB-61), USS Missouri (BB-63), USS Wisconsin (BB-64). Several others were started (BB-65 through BB-71), but not finished. They featured newer 16" naval rifles, newer fire control systems, and more powerful engines. The carry over from the older battleships are the teak wood decks, which required a lot of care by deck crews.

Counting Korea, Viet Nam, Middle East, several of the class were re-commissioned and updated with newer weapons systems, including cruise missiles.

@pendennis Thank you for adding additional information to the post....

I used to work for Sperry, started off as an assembler, moved into the electronic test department, and ended my career there in customer QC. One of the systems we made for the US Navy was the MK92 Fire Control System but I don't think it was fitted on Battlewagons.

@RVT1K Thanks for the input...

Great set and very informative.

Nice work on the "links". I really like that one.

@PJM Thank you Dude!

While we paid to see the entire ship, we did not, it's just too big and we we hurting. Unfortunately, the BB62 is going to be closed temporarily due to the Chinese virus after Labor Day Weekend, it's just financially unsustainable under the pandemic. Hopefully, it will reopen soon, in order for us to visit again.

I am glad that a few pictures brought about so much discussion regarding an old war relic like the..."Big J."

And yes when I visit Alabama, I will visit the USS Alabama, I also want to see the USS Yorktown docked in Mt. Pleasant, SC.

I believe there is another USS New Jersey under construction now...a submarine...not sure if it is an attack sub or a boomer and/or it's class.

Thank you again for all of your thoughts and inputs to this thread; however, I would be remised if I did not take a moment to thank the men and women who serve our great nation and make possible our freedoms on day to day basis.

All The Best,

Enezdez

If I recall correctly, the USS Midway is docked in San Diego and the USS Lexington in Pensacola, Florida, which is a short drive from Mobile. In Pensacola, they also have the Naval Aviation Museum, which is pretty cool as well. They have an actual Japanese Zero there that is very interesting. Worth the trip if you will be in Mobile. Take Highway 98 to get to NAS Pensacola.

Fantastic, thanks for the tour. Serious nostalgia from looking at these, and I’ll probably revisit these photos a few more times today now that you got it my head! I too spent quite a bit of time on one of these, floating around the Mediterranean in the USMC I have photos similar to these I shot some years ago. Thanks for posting a great set

Nice pics and brings back memories. A bunch of us toured her when she was tied up in Subic Bay in 1969 and, later, watched her fire those 16" rifles supporting the ground troops. We were told we were too close and to back off some. The recoil from a broadside heeled her over considerably and the muzzle blast tore up the ocean.

@Joel Bolden Thank you for your service, hopefully the memories were mostly good!

Workman-like.

@Derrel Thanks Man!

@HowdyMark Glad that my images intrigued you enough to look it up and thank your very much for adding the info...

Good set. I love ships and boats. My one real regret in life is not joining the Royal Navy when I left school (I ended up serving Queen and Country in another way) so I enjoyed these.

@Space Face Thanks Man!

Great set, the processing suits this well.

I recommend visiting the USS Alabama

I 2nd this, as it's great way to spend some time. They have a nice museum and a submarine as well.

I thought the Alabama was big but at 887 ft long the USS NJ is a full 207 feet longer (right at a third longer), and over 15,000 tons heavier.

@smoke665 Thanks Man!

Thanks for the e tour of the ship, I would love to see you get the job of making one of those 3D v tours of that ship
I don’t know your intent but for me the chain 2nd image was too soot and white wash for me.... excuse me old speak
.... too contrasting from the black to white.
Nice tour set, thanks

@Original katomi Thank you!

As a former US Air Force communications repairman, the racks with electronics really brought back memories for me. Since my SIL is a current US Coast Guardsman, the whole tour really interests me. I appreciate this thread very much. Thank you for this post!

@Dean_Gretsch My pleasure...glad it brought back memories and sorry for your loss as well, these furry kids leave their paw prints in our hearts forever......

Very nice set! Looks like a fun/interesting trip. I've driven past and seen Battleship Memorial Park and the USS Alabama (BB-60) a number of times from a distance while traveling on IH 10 through Mobile, AL. The next time I go near it I'm visiting it.

@K9Kirk Thanks!

BB-62 is the second USS New Jersey. The first New Jersey was BB-16, commissioned in 1906, decommissioned in 1920. She was used as a bomb target by Col. Billy Mitchell in 1923, and sunk off Cape Hatteras, North Carolina. The bell pictured is from her.

The second USS New Jersey, BB-62 is one of the Iowa Class battleships built during the middle of World War II. They included USS Iowa (BB-61), USS Missouri (BB-63), USS Wisconsin (BB-64). Several others were started (BB-65 through BB-71), but not finished. They featured newer 16" naval rifles, newer fire control systems, and more powerful engines. The carry over from the older battleships are the teak wood decks, which required a lot of care by deck crews.

Counting Korea, Viet Nam, Middle East, several of the class were re-commissioned and updated with newer weapons systems, including cruise missiles.

@pendennis Thank you for adding additional information to the post....

I used to work for Sperry, started off as an assembler, moved into the electronic test department, and ended my career there in customer QC. One of the systems we made for the US Navy was the MK92 Fire Control System but I don't think it was fitted on Battlewagons.

@RVT1K Thanks for the input...

Great set and very informative.

Nice work on the "links". I really like that one.

@PJM Thank you Dude!

While we paid to see the entire ship, we did not, it's just too big and we we hurting. Unfortunately, the BB62 is going to be closed temporarily due to the Chinese virus after Labor Day Weekend, it's just financially unsustainable under the pandemic. Hopefully, it will reopen soon, in order for us to visit again.

I am glad that a few pictures brought about so much discussion regarding an old war relic like the..."Big J."

And yes when I visit Alabama, I will visit the USS Alabama, I also want to see the USS Yorktown docked in Mt. Pleasant, SC.

I believe there is another USS New Jersey under construction now...a submarine...not sure if it is an attack sub or a boomer and/or it's class.

Thank you again for all of your thoughts and inputs to this thread; however, I would be remised if I did not take a moment to thank the men and women who serve our great nation and make possible our freedoms on day to day basis.

All The Best,

Enezdez

If I recall correctly, the USS Midway is docked in San Diego and the USS Lexington in Pensacola, Florida, which is a short drive from Mobile. In Pensacola, they also have the Naval Aviation Museum, which is pretty cool as well. They have an actual Japanese Zero there that is very interesting. Worth the trip if you will be in Mobile. Take Highway 98 to get to NAS Pensacola.

@Pixeldawg1 Thanks for the info......

Fantastic, thanks for the tour. Serious nostalgia from looking at these, and I’ll probably revisit these photos a few more times today now that you got it my head! I too spent quite a bit of time on one of these, floating around the Mediterranean in the USMC I have photos similar to these I shot some years ago. Thanks for posting a great set

@charlie76 Glad you enjoyed the images & hopefully brought back good memories...

Thank you all again for your comments, I am honored that my images of the USS New Jersey BB62 touch so many people in so manny different ways!

Cheers,

Enezdez

Most reactions

Back