What's new

The Vegas Strip by night from a helicopter

Snap Happy

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 2, 2006
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Location
Houston, by way of Florida
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thanks to whomever it was that reminded me about my little-used f/1.8 lens (the 50mm). It was the only thing in my bag fast enough to shoot these from a moving helicopter.

Camera: Nikon D300
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/1.8
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 3200


2604480626_4cc531cc76.jpg


2603772795_3aa765d252.jpg


Probably my fave just for the angle of the street (and the Bellagio fountains!):
2603699503_bb5a066879.jpg


2603708905_7aea24e057.jpg


2603751345_03efe6ef7f.jpg


2604649928_a832420a01.jpg



No chopper - just a fave I took while waiting in line at dinner forever at Mon Ami Gabi across the street. The Bellagio and Caesars Palace:

2604725631_547b0b3f89.jpg


Camera: Nikon D300
Exposure: 1.6 sec (8/5)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 12 mm
ISO Speed: 200
 
If you look at the first one, you can see the horizon's not tilted but you'd think it was from the angle of the buildings/street. 4 is a bit but not the rest - just appears that way due to the angle of the strip. Hard to level in a moving helicopter, but there wasn't much to correct when I got them downloaded. The last aerial shot is definitely not tilted, but shot out a side window as we're coming in at about a 45-degree angle to the Strip.

With a 50mm lens, the capture is so narrow (not exactly a panorama like my 11m would provide), fixing the 2-3 degree tilt would lop off detail. You'd hate the ones I have that are about 30 degrees tilted - on purpose. lol When the chopper is yanking & banking what you're seeing IS on a tilt - I like to reflect what I'm seeing. SO yeah, the shots I didn't post (mostly daytime) are very tilted. You two might want to set down the beers for those above. ;)
 
Nice pics, I like 1 the best. I think you did a good job of capturing the area outside of Vegas, too; because most people think there isn't much else to Las Vegas other than the Strip. I just got back from my Las Vegas trip 4 days ago, and we also went on a helicopter ride, but they didn't take us over the Strip, just to the Grand Canyon. It's also hard to get pictures because of the tinted windows in the helicopters
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom