The very FIRST thing you need to think about...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Didereaux, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Didereaux

Didereaux Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    You want to learn to be a photographer. Spend a few minutes watching this video, I will bet the best cup of coffee that you will agree that this was a help. Now that offer/bet does not extend to the class of 'photographers' who think they know it all already and are qualified to tell anyone how to be a photographer. So with that groundwork laid watch the vid.

• Like Like x 2
  2. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Oh boy, I'm in trouble...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. bribrius

bribrius Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i think a lot of photographers have been traditionally self taught tbh. Either you pick up a camera one day and figure it out or you don't.

5. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm still waiting for the day I figure it out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Watchful

Watchful No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's really the only way to learn anything IMO.

So this guy is saying that what he knows and what he knows that he doesn't know are not in the part where creativity are found, and then he says 'give me money to learn to not be creative like me'. uh, huh.

So did you shoot this video and own it? If not you are supposed to post a link only to the video on the net. I think that's what the rules say.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  7. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

8. soufiej

soufiej No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    IMO ...

A smart person can know a lot about a lot of things.

An intelligent person knows how very little they actually know about most anything and how absolutely minuscule is their absolute knowledge of everything. That person may view everything as a game of Jenga; loosen the stability of one piece and the whole begins to teeter.

A somewhat less than smart person in any one arena believes it can all be taught in a few short lessons. They may not be "stupid" about anything, they simply do not utilize the thought process needed to see the interweaving of all things.

How many times have you begun research on a topic by entering a phrase in a search engine only to find you soon have a dozen tabs open to research topics you have found through your initial search? And, you realize you could continue to add another dozen with ease and still not begin to really know the topic you've started to research?

If you have not been taught critical thinking (here's a link for those of you not familiar with the term; Defining Critical Thinking ), then you likely feel you can reduce most things to a few basic ideas and those few ideas can be taught to you by a smart person within a few minutes to a few hours.

If you are not familiar with the concept of first principles, then you likely feel all things can be reduced to the tools or equipment required to allow the results you desire.

It's actually how most of us shop for "stuff".

If you have no friggin' idea what a logical fallacy is and when you've waded into one, you buy more stuff thinking that is your way around the process of learning.

It's often the way we discuss our newly acquired "stuff".

On the other hand, it is very easy to study and research and to not know enough about what you should and what you shouldn't need at any one time that you waste a lot of time reading about what has no value to your immediate result. Self taught students of anything tend to bounce around to the next shiny thing without sufficient knowledge of or insight into the subject to know they don't need to know "that" at this time. That, IMO, is the value of a very good lesson plan, it keeps you on track by building a solid foundation before you start on the upper floors.

Etc. ...

It can, IMO, all be reduced to the simplification of our education systems and the marketing of the commercial product. Too many education systems have been reduced to a result stage which bypasses teaching critical thought processes. The teaching to the test process we find in many school systems. The answer in search of a problem path to achievement. All of which benefits those wishing to create absolute tests and those providing easy answers, all wishing to be judged by a set script vs thinking individuals.

Probably you've heard the phrase, "Knowledge is power".

Power does not reside in a thinking, knowledgeable society, it is a shared value.

Commercialization teaches us it is the equipment which provides the results. Buy this and you will be better simply by owning it.

Possibly, you've heard or read someone say a piece of equipment "looks good". "Looks good" and is efficient at its job are two vastly different things.

An education system not based on critical thinking doesn't value that distinction.

Therefore, while the op's video isn't necessarily wrong about anything it states, it preaches to the choir.

Those most in need of the critical thought process it promotes will not be interested in the actual thought processes required to make sense of the lessons being promoted.

9. Didereaux

Didereaux Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Your whole post would seem to fit within the criteria you list at the end. ;) ...and no, you do not get that cup of coffee!

10. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As I have told many people, I bought lots of expensive cameras and they don't take good pictures either!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. soufiej

soufiej No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

That is, mostly true. Yet, it was you who posted the original video.

12. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photographic equipment is tools. It doesn't make photographs. Photographers do.