The very FIRST thing you need to think about...

Your whole post would seem to fit within the criteria you list at the end. ;) ...and no, you do not get that cup of coffee!

That is, mostly true. Yet, it was you who posted the original video.

Guess I will have to repeat myself! "Now that offer/bet does not extend to the class of 'photographers' who think they know it all already and are qualified to tell anyone how to be a photographer."

Since sophiej has never posted a picture, it remains to be seen if she actually is a photographer.
There are others in the same situation, all hat, no cattle.

Then the ownership of the website needs to change the Terms. Last time the site was changed I read them and that's why I rarely post photos here (and if I do I go back in and remove them later). Of course I can't speak for Sophie/Soufie.

Guess I will have to repeat myself! "Now that offer/bet does not extend to the class of 'photographers' who think they know it all already and are qualified to tell anyone how to be a photographer."

'Scuse me!

This was your wording in the op, "Spend a few minutes watching this video, I will bet the best cup of coffee that you will agree that this was a help. Now that offer/bet does not extend to the class of 'photographers' who think they know it all already and are qualified to tell anyone how to be a photographer."

My initial response had nothing to do with thinking I know it all. Quite the contrary.

You seem to be quite willing to welch on your offer if I do not agree the video was "a help". To remind you of exactly what I posted, here's a quote, "Those most in need of the critical thought process it promotes will not be interested in the actual thought processes required to make sense of the lessons being promoted."

Did your video help me personally? No.

Did I "need" your video? Not that I can tell.

It restated what I already do comprehend and it broke no new ground for me. I've done this "forum thing" for awhile and I know what type of person the video was discussing.

It didn't explain how I should better my photography. Just that there's a lot to learn about photography.

Anyone here not already know that?

I didn't think so.

Was it made for the personal benefit of the person who made the video? Probably.

Did it actually help you become a better photographer?

Probably not, or you wouldn't have posted it for others to view.

It was aimed at who? Someone who feels they can learn photography in a few hours?

No.

It was aimed at all those folks who have been asked to teach someone all the things they need to know to make what they've purchased perform to a level they cannot achieve on their own.

Those people doing the asking won't watch that video. That's all I said.

Now you wish to welch on the deal by claiming I made more of your video than I did.

Or, claiming I made more of myself simply because you didn't care for my response?

Why not just accept the response and move on? Why make a big deal out of this?

Do I feel I am "qualified to tell anyone how to be a photographer."

I have never made that claim on this forum though I have responded on a few threads asking for advice. Haven't you?

Telling someone - anyone - "how to be a better photographer" wasn't the reason the video was made. Is that so difficult to understand?

I don't get this. You posted a video on a public forum with the expectation people would respond to the video. But you apparently only wanted responses which agreed with your need to post the video and those which applauded you for posting it on this forum.

If that's why you posed the video, why make the bet? Did you seriously think no one would find it less than helpful?

You placed conditions on your bet. Conditions that you now get to adjudicate?!

I don't often make bets, even on line when the prize is unsubstantial enough as to be nothing. But, is it normal for the person who offers the bet to also serve as the judge of who wins the bet?

As Traveler says, you don't even know whether I am a photographer. The conditions of your bet require I think of myself as a photographer. Or, is that another condition you get to change after the fact?

If you feel so, that I am a "photographer", please inform Traveler that I am indeed ... a photographer. He has a bug under his saddle about posting photos in order to prove something to him.

And, Traveler, this is yet another case of the more you push, the further you get from your goal. It is precisely because of responses such as yours that I do not feel inclined to post any photos here.

Thanks all!

'Scuse me!

This was your wording in the op, "Spend a few minutes watching this video, I will bet the best cup of coffee that you will agree that this was a help. Now that offer/bet does not extend to the class of 'photographers' who think they know it all already and are qualified to tell anyone how to be a photographer."

My initial response had nothing to do with thinking I know it all. Quite the contrary.

You seem to be quite willing to welch on your offer if I do not agree the video was "a help". To remind you of exactly what I posted, here's a quote, "Those most in need of the critical thought process it promotes will not be interested in the actual thought processes required to make sense of the lessons being promoted."

It restated what I already do comprehend and it broke no new ground for me. I've done this "forum thing" for awhile and I know what type of person the video was discussing.

It didn't explain how I should better my photography. Just that there's a lot to learn about photography.

I didn't think so.

Was it made for the personal benefit of the person who made the video? Probably.

It was aimed at who? Someone who feels they can learn photography in a few hours?

No.

It was aimed at all those folks who have been asked to teach someone all the things they need to know to make what they've purchased perform to a level they cannot achieve on their own.

Now you wish to welch on the deal by claiming I made more of your video than I did.

Or, claiming I made more of myself simply because you didn't care for my response?

I have never made that claim on this forum though I have responded on a few threads asking for advice. Haven't you?

Telling someone - anyone - "how to be a better photographer" wasn't the reason the video was made. Is that so difficult to understand?

I don't get this. You posted a video on a public forum with the expectation people would respond to the video. But you apparently only wanted responses which agreed with your need to post the video and those which applauded you for posting it on this forum.

If that's why you posed the video, why make the bet? Did you seriously think no one would find it less than helpful?

I don't often make bets, even on line when the prize is unsubstantial enough as to be nothing. But, is it normal for the person who offers the bet to also serve as the judge of who wins the bet?

As Traveler says, you don't even know whether I am a photographer. The conditions of your bet require I think of myself as a photographer. Or, is that another condition you get to change after the fact?

If you feel so, that I am a "photographer", please inform Traveler that I am indeed ... a photographer. He has a bug under his saddle about posting photos in order to prove something to him.

And, Traveler, this is yet another case of the more you push, the further you get from your goal. It is precisely because of responses such as yours that I do not feel inclined to post any photos here.

Thanks all!
Ok, well I'll be honest, took me a bit to read through all that and my initial response is, would it help if I bought you a cup of coffee?

:)

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

'Scuse me!

I didn't think so.

No.

Thanks all!

Oh for goodness sakes! Just take your medications and take a break! You have mental issues, I am sorry. But high-jacking threads in a photography forum in order to illuminate your handicaps is really not cool. Go away before Nurse Ratched finds out your missing. ;)

This site only gets better if people of all levels post pictures.
You specialize in long discourses that don't add to what the site needs.

You have all sorts of excuses, adding me as a reason is just another way to avoid showing that what you say you know has any weight.
I don't know what your real problem is, but there sure must be one.

Ok, well I'll be honest, took me a bit to read through all that and my initial response is, would it help if I bought you a cup of coffee?

Maybe, maybe not.

The problem IMO seems to be with the forum and the decorum of its members. The disrespectful and immature level to which many members immediately descend is astounding.

I admit to not having the longest term of membership here but, I do remember being attacked and insulted and challenged as being unqualified to even be here on my very first participation in a thread.

Nothing has changed from that time to now.

A few disagreeable folks have (apparently) left to ruin some other forum for a time but the turn of this forum into personal insults remains hair trigger.

In the many years I've sent on forums, this remains one of the most potentially unpleasant and unhelpful forums I've landed on.

A version of this observation exists on this forum having been made by yet another forum member on a what? a weekly basis?

To Didereaux and Traveler: I have one simple question for you. I would appreciate a simple and honest reply without any snark.

Did that video help you, in any way, become a better photographer or enlighten you in any manner regarding photography?

Then the ownership of the website needs to change the Terms. Last time the site was changed I read them and that's why I rarely post photos here (and if I do I go back in and remove them later). Of course I can't speak for Sophie/Soufie.

The TC for the forums is likely a default one and wouldn't surprise me if its default for either the software or for Forum Foundry. IF there is a specific clause that is causing you problems PLEASE either report it to a moderator/admin or mention it in the feedback section at the bottom of the site. Moderators don't set policy, but we are more than willing to take cases to the admin if users find issues that might prevent their use of the site.

In the many years I've sent on forums, this remains one of the most potentially unpleasant and unhelpful forums I've landed on.

You do realise that:
1) We have an ignore feature that lets you ignore posts from users (except mods/admin) that you dislike or have trouble with

2) You can report posts to the admin/moderators to air your concerns. You can also talk to any member of the team in private to air your concerns.

3) Are not forced to be here and honestly if you hate or find the site as loathsome as you say I'm honestly surprised that you've either not followed options 1 and 2 above or left.
As moderators we aim to try and keep as many people happy as we can and to provide a safe environment - we however must rely on users to give us feedback on this; without it we cannot take steps toward resolutions (should they be needed).

Moderartors don't read everything - and we don't always interpret things the same way other uses will; thus direct feedback is critical.

[QUOTE="Overread, post: 3610305, member: 30094
You do realise that:
1) We have an ignore feature that lets you ignore posts from users (except mods/admin) that you dislike or have trouble with

2) You can report posts to the admin/moderators to air your concerns. You can also talk to any member of the team in private to air your concerns.

3) Are not forced to be here and honestly if you hate or find the site as loathsome as you say I'm honestly surprised that you've either not followed options 1 and 2 above or left.
As moderators we aim to try and keep as many people happy as we can and to provide a safe environment - we however must rely on users to give us feedback on this; without it we cannot take steps toward resolutions (should they be needed).

Moderartors don't read everything - and we don't always interpret things the same way other uses will; thus direct feedback is critical.[/QUOTE]

I have no "dislike" for any member.

My personal policy on forums is to allow everyone a second, and even a third, chance until they have proven they cannot be trusted to behave as an adult.

Am I then in some way obligated to avoid all contact with other forum members? No, I don't think so. There's always the chance the true PITA members will be having a "good day" and they will behave.

It is a public forum. Maybe the mods should develop a policy of placing road signs on dangerous threads, eh? :aufsmaul: That would make for a more interesting forum I'm certain. :laugh2:

Do I "have problems with" any member? Seems that's difficult to discern until someone decides they prefer to be difficult.

Are there people here who I suspect will prefer to be difficult? No doubt.

They are, however, in the vast minority though they have the singular capacity to be the most disruptive.

Where do I find the "Oh, for goodness sake, let it be!", function on the forum?

"Concerns"?

I've had a few.

But, then again, too few to mention.

:biglaugh:

Is it something in the air on this forum?

A lot of folks seems very disagreeable lately.

I regard the behavior of the few as being typical of a forum. That doesn't mean I must like their behavior. Nor does it mean I am going to head to an admin/moderator every time it occurs.

As a whole, however, it occurs quite often IMO.

This is an adult forum. The answer is for everyone to behave as adults. Unfortunately, that appears beyond the abilities of a few.

I'm not forced to be here? Really?!

I could leave?

I never thought of that!

What? is this the first time you've heard of this sort of behavior on this forum? Do you always suggest to everyone who runs into a PITA member that they should simply leave the forum?

That would result in what? A few PITA's running the forum.

Actually, I'm a bit surprised that you have taken that attitude. Must be something in the water.

How about, rather than reporting everything to a mod, people just grow up and stop being a PITA to others?

Is there something I've posted here that you find objectionable? This thread didn't need to turn into anything other than a simple thread about a video.

Am I responsible for what was said to me? I don't think so.

One forum member simply decided to be his typical PITA self. That's too bad IMO.

Thanks for the input. No disrespect intended. Just surprise.

Maybe, maybe not.

The problem IMO seems to be with the forum and the decorum of its members. The disrespectful and immature level to which many members immediately descend is astounding.

I admit to not having the longest term of membership here but, I do remember being attacked and insulted and challenged as being unqualified to even be here on my very first participation in a thread.

Nothing has changed from that time to now.

A few disagreeable folks have (apparently) left to ruin some other forum for a time but the turn of this forum into personal insults remains hair trigger.

A version of this observation exists on this forum having been made by yet another forum member on a what? a weekly basis?

To Didereaux and Traveler: I have one simple question for you. I would appreciate a simple and honest reply without any snark.

Did that video help you, in any way, become a better photographer or enlighten you in any manner regarding photography?
easy way to fix this just tell them their opinion means chit to you, problem solved. There IS some very knowledgeable people that could give sound advice but looking around i haven't seen anyone who is a famous photographer that deserves a big enough head to look down on you.

Anything that can be taught can be learned by a good student without the use of a teacher, and, after all, we are all students of life.
In many cases, a teacher is a hinderence to learning what matters.

Well,I don't know about that.
As a primarily self taught musician,I certainly learned a ton when I began studying with a professional bassplayer that gave lessons.
I had a primary goal, that was what we worked on,and my playing and understanding of modes improved dramatically.
I started in 1974 and didn't take a lesson until 2001.
You can always learn from someone who knows how to teach.
Most internet videos are done by clowns and handjob artists.

I was speaking for myself, not the world. :)
Stay away from youtube, it's an idiot's playground. lol

There are bad books, videos, websites, guides, workshops, teachers, mentors etc...

If you focus on the bad that's all you'll ever see and it might mean that you overlook resources that are worth your time.

The internet is a vast and fantastic resource if you use it right. I find that its good for networking and also for tutorials on theory on niche areas. For a more complete picture books and teachers tend to be better as they present a series of theories and concepts strung together to get an end result; whilst this is present online its less so and more focuses upon refinement or alternative methods within the overall process and workflow.

I will also say that yes you can self learn a lot - BUT - self learning is a skill unto itself. IT is a skill not everyone has and learning a hobby or skill is hard if the method by which you learn (self learning) is also one that you have to learn at the same time. It doubles the learning requirements and is hard because a lot of self learning falls into the pitfall of "You don't know what it is that you don't know" thus its very easy to overlook things simple because you don't know they exist or because mentions of them are underplayed in early resources you visit/find.

A good teacher can take you further; nearly always. Especially because they can correct many issues at the time before you hit the shutter; they can help you not learn bad habits before you learn them and then have to unlearn them to progress.

Of course there are those who have learned things in almost total isolation and have done fantastic things; they are even more a rarity - yes its possible, but no not everyone will be able to do it as they might not have the skills to achieve that end result. That's no failing of a person just like not being able to self learn is a failing; itsj ust how we are all different.

Most reactions

Back