Theater, no flash

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have never shot in this environment. This is my new 85mm 1.8G on a D3300. I could not use a flash.

#1: F/1.8, ISO2800, 1/125s, AE mode.
Is this typical exposure under circumstances? Is it any good? I assume I can throw WB out the door with all the colored stage lights.
ce2cb833be670bb9629ad6ccb27ffe2e.jpg

#2: F/1.8, ISO12800, 1/60s, AE mode. Is this typical considering she was 60+ yards away and I cropped heavy. A lot of noise.
dd5e273ded5c2d2129bfcc418d64ac97.jpg

#3: F/1.8, ISO560, 1/125s, AE mode. Are the hot spots typical? Either way, can I avoid them?
0838d0d0ca5c4689cc64b6cfcd7f9f8c.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have never shot in this environment. This is my new 85mm 1.8G on a D3300. I could not use a flash.

#1: F/1.8, ISO2800, 1/125s, AE mode.
Is this typical exposure under circumstances? Is it any good? I assume I can throw WB out the door with all the colored stage lights.
ce2cb833be670bb9629ad6ccb27ffe2e.jpg

#2: F/1.8, ISO12800, 1/60s, AE mode. Is this typical considering she was 60+ yards away and I cropped heavy. A lot of noise.
dd5e273ded5c2d2129bfcc418d64ac97.jpg

#3: F/1.8, ISO560, 1/125s, AE mode. Are the hot spots typical? Either way, can I avoid them?
0838d0d0ca5c4689cc64b6cfcd7f9f8c.jpg

#1 - I would say the exposure looks fine. Of course, the exposure is going to be determined by your metering mode and if shooting full matrix, and the background stage lights dim, just leaving a spot light on the singers, then you could end up overexposed as a result. Spot metering the subject matter may be a safer option under changing lighting conditions.

#2 - I would say this is fairly typical if you had to crop heavily. You're shooting high ISO in dimly lit conditions with a far from suitable lens choice (given the distance). There may be a hint of motion blur and the lens has no VR to counter any hand held movements you have introduced.

#3 - The hot spots are due to the perspiration on the singers faces and the high contrast stage lighting. It's a small bright light. This is evidenced by the definition of the shadow of the hand on the bongo. The blue trousers also look like they have a sheen to them, which is why again you have the specular highlight on them too. Nothing you can do about it really, other than try and crush the highlights in post and dropping the contrast a bit.

Thank you very much. I totally forgot about changing the metering modes. That is most helpful.

There isn't any typical. Lighting is a tool in the theatre and they are liable to do anything and everything with it. I once photographed a ballet company on a large stage and in one scene there was very little light and it was green.
I like your photographs. Try to be ready for anything.

Those are perfectly acceptable under the circumstances. I generally shoot in shutter priority with -1/3 EC to tone down the highlights. I recently did production stills for a play the images ranged from this:

Tommy%20%284%29.JPG

to this...

Tommy%20%287%29.JPG

I see. I am on it next time. I have a little more control since the apeture will more than likely be wide open.

# 1 - I don't know.
I'm looking at the saxophone. It's not clear.
I'm guessing from the keywork & bell design that it's a Keilwerth New King or Couf Superba 1 (neck wire is slightly identifiable to differentiate between a Superba 1 and a Superba 2, along with supporting post, and pearl high F# key and G# key.

So you need to go back to the sax player and ask him what alto he plays.
Then, if it is a Couf/JK sax, I'll say the picture is perfect :)
:band:
btw, I'm a sax player .. a tad biased here and I play Couf & Selmer horns.

Oh wait, did you want C&C on the ppl up front singing ???
I'm not sure about that cheap Fender guitar to give a glowing C&C ... :guitar:

:bouncingsmileys:

Other than that .. the pics :icon_camera: looks good considering the situation.:thumbyo:

Most reactions

Back