Thee Moon, a Sparrow and a Seagull

Dave NY

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I thought I might try to get some shots at the Moon very early this AM, most didn't come out worth a Darn, but 1 did, I suppose like all types of photography there is a nack to it which I have 't got. Then went back to Seneca Lake and got some more shots there trying to get birds in flight, still need a bunch of work on those too, I guessing much faster shutter speed.
Moon-1-Resized.jpg
Seagull in Flight-2 Resized.jpg
Sparrow in Flight-1-Resized.jpg

Thanks K9Kirk.

I think I figured out why most of the moon shots came out so bad, it's actually due to a setting on the lens. The Moon was beautiful this AM early and should be closer to being Full tonight so hopefully I'll get to test that theory out.

Getting more familiar with the camera and set 1 of the custom settings for a fast shutter speed to be able to freeze the birds wings in flight.

Hopefully I am gaining and getting better. I think I am and getting better shots that I like, that's what's important.

I'm curious as to what your exif is for the moon shot, I don't see any. Can you tell me what your settings were for the moon shot and what the ISO was. I'm positive I can help you out with your moon shots. If you can figure out how to include your exif info in your pics that would be great. There are articles on the net on how to do it.

A good set, and a good attempt at getting the moon. Here is a shot I did in mid-March, about 19:30. I used the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary at 600mm with f/14, 1/2000, and auto-ISO, which came out at 5000. The dark blue sky is due to postprocessing and is a byproduct although not a bad one. This was done hand-held, and a tripod may have resulted in an even better picture.

mar15202201 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

I'm curious as to what your exif is for the moon shot, I don't see any. Can you tell me what your settings were for the moon shot and what the ISO was. I'm positive I can help you out with your moon shots. If you can figure out how to include your exif info in your pics that would be great. There are articles on the net on how to do it.
1/250, f6.3, 600mm, 6400 ISO

I haven't figured out yet how to include the data in the photo with Darktable but I am still Looking.

Jeff, Great shot. I was going to try again tonight but may be cloudy, I'll see when I get up (which is well before dawn, more like midnight - 1:00 AM)

I also like to use manual focus for moon shots.

Here are a couple I shot on 7-14, 1 day before the "Silver" or "Buck" Moon.

Jeffashman, I tried your settings but my Auto ISO took it to 1/16000, which I believe is why they look grainy.

The second one was taken just before the moon set and it always appears to have the orangeish hue. The Curved lines on the darker one are from branches on a dead tree not far from me when the shots were taken. I haven't done any processing on these photos.
7-14 Moon-1-Resized.jpg
7-14 Moon-2- Resized.jpg

I didn't do anything to the photos unless it happens when it is compressed into a jpg file.

If it is a .jpg from your camera then it was processed by the camera. If you had a program convert it from RAW then it depends on the program.

Most reactions

Back